Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide which way I should travel this turkey season. Have a good friend in West Texas that I can go down and hunt some Rios with and I have another friend that invited me to south Carolina. So I'm stuck on which way to go. Both are 12 hr drives and both license are close to the same price. So which way should I travel?

· Registered
5,719 Posts
I would like to one day hunt South Carolina, but I would probably pick TX if it were me just for the unique experience. While timing can make or break a hunt, sometimes even in a turkey paradise, I have yet to see those TX Rios readily want to do the death flop very easily like it is often assumed. They can be as skittish as any turkeys. The best advice I could give anyone that hunts Rios in TX for the first time is..... If they are responding well to your calls, even from what seems like a sizeable distance, your higher percentage for success is to sit tight because they will cover ground and cover ground fast when they decide to come in. It's easy to bump them if you don't. They tend to cover a lot of ground each day.

I think the low country of South Carolina would be cool to hunt, so you could plan on that for next year maybe.

· Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
I'd have to have the following questions answered before I could decide.

How much land do you have to hunt at each place?
How much pressure is at each place?

If all things are equal always go west.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.