Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are scrapes and rubs everywhere in sw arkansas its going to be an early rut boys! Be in the woods early muzzleloader and bowhunt last week october, I garuntee bigguns' be movin':biggrin: never seen so much sign so early:up:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I went to fill feeders and pick muscadines today and right where I turn off the 4w trail there was a fresh scrape and rub. All together I found 6 scrapes and numerous rubs(and about 2.5 gal of 'dines :up:.) I was just there last Wed and they weren't there.
I'm guessing this awesome cool snap is trying to trigger them.

Bryan

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Ive been seeing scrapes and rubs in September for as long as I can remeber. What your seeing are territory scrapes around food sources. I would expect the rut to be the same as it is every year.:wink:

·
Super Moderator
9,786 Posts
Early smokepole season to right before gun season is always the best time to be out (for me) every year anyways...

I plan nothing different this year.

I will poke something ASAP. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The does cycles are triggered by the amount of daylight there is. The rut will occur around the same time each season. Nature has it that way so the little fawns will be weaned around the time of year when the mast falls. The bucks are ready as soon as they loose their velvet. Although the testastrone (sp) levels do continue to rise as the daylight hours decrease, therefore the swollen necks as the time nears for the does to cycle. I'm no expert so therefore I may not understand all I know about it HA ! But I think the rut will be about the same as every other year around Nov. 12 to the 18th. My favorite time to be in the woods is before the full rut when the bucks are chasing. Good luck folks ! (trails to and from the white oak flats are gonna be your best bet :wink:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
yea, I hunt close to a huge white oak and I'm hoping the acorn crop is as good as people are saying it should be this year. Between that tree, the feeder, and mineral lick I'm hoping there's a little honey hole.

I read today that once they start losing their velvet they'll soon stop running around together. It said the big bucks are more likely to be grouped together at that time instead of a big one and a 1.5 year old.

I'd love to find some rubs and scrapes this weekend, and I'll probably make a couple of scrapes as well.

·
Premium Member
7,807 Posts
the rutting activity is really drawn out down here. best way to figure it out? back date 200 days from when you see newborn fawns. saw some that dated back to the last week in oct, and saw one ran over this week that looked to only be a few weeks old. that would put it around the middle of feb. guess it could have had a yearling momma that was born early last year, and came in late in the winter. :confused:BG12

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.