Eagle Soybeans?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by split toe, Dec 18, 2012.

1. split toe

split toe Well-Known Member

I have heard good things about these soybeans. I believe the company is from NEA. Anybody have any experiences with them? High maintenance?

2. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I planted five acres of them this year and, because of the drought, really did not do that well. They are not high maintenance as they are roundup ready. Up until about mid august, deer were walking through my eagle seed beans to get to my neighbor's commercial seed variety. After mid august, they started feeding on the eagle seed heavier than my neighbors beans. I did not witness them continuing to put on growth after heavy browsing because it was so hot and dry. I would have preferred them to keep their leaves longer than they did (early Oct), but other than that, I really don't have a complaint. I ordered them direct from eagle seed and had them shipped to davis feed in Ashdown. Broadcast 50 lbs per acre.

3. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

They have a good product & they do exactly what they advertize they do. Grow & grow and make tons of forage. Once they get going a herd of deer cannot eat them up. Only problem I have seen is getting them to the stage in development where they can. Like planting any other legume in a area where there is a population of deer, they will pick them as fast as they come up.

4. split toe

split toe Well-Known Member

How much do they cost? Also how did you plant them? Drill or broadcast? I would have to opt for broadcasting because I have no drill. While I'm at it, how deep do they need to be planted? I have zero experience with soybeans.

Thanks guys!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  5. Trapzilla

Trapzilla Well-Known Member

I very limited experience. I've only planted one time, but I used a spring tooth plow,made several passes, and broadcast seed on top of the fresh dit. Got a dab of rain that night and I didnt see them for about 3 or 4 days. When I went back I was thinking I needed to find a way to cover the seed , to my surprise the seed was sprouted and trying to get in the dirt. I couldn't disturb the seed so I left it. It was over a month before I got to go back. I had an awsome stand of beans.:thumb: When the beans bloomed the deer found them and it was all over for my bean patch.:banghead: Where I live there are no agri crops grown. If you have the dirt I recomend you plant some and as much as you can $$$ .

6. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe I paid around $70 per bag last year. It was another $10 or $15 per bag to get them shipped. Broadcast rate is about 75 lbs per acre. I tilled my seed bed, broadcast the beans, then ran a drag over them. My drag is an 8 ft pc of hog panel with two tires wired on top. It has enough flex to bend over the humps and valleys. Try to get them in early - mid April. You should still get enough rain to get them up and going, and usually, this time of year - everthing is green and growing, so the deer are not as prone to get all over them like they will mid summer when everything is dying and drying up. If you plant in mid April, by early July, the beans will already be good size and should be able to withstand a fair bit of grazing. I wait til the beans get about 6 to 8 inches tall before spraying roundup. If they are mush smaller than that - I have seen roundup yellow them. They will come out of it but it does knock them back. You might have to spray them again mid summer if we keep getting rain.

7. jdoyle

jdoyle Well-Known Member

Marion
    I have planted them for 3 years now with great success. Bean pic.jpg

We spray round up, wait about 3 weeks, disc, spread beans with a spreader and lightly disc over the top of them (ideally right before a good rain). Wait until the beans are about 10-12 inches high and hit them with another shot of round up & you should be good to go. We have 12 acres of them and the deer are really hitting them now.