Arkansas Hunting banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,385 Posts
I've hit turkeys dead to rights with #5's, #6's and had them not receive lethal hits. I've had turkeys suddenly find new life as I was walking up on them. Talk about frustating:smack: I've patterned my loads and everything but sometimes you can have holes in the pattern. Also people who don't have a super full choke turkey gun sometimes find this more effective. A good load of #4's works well also, just not as far. I don't see it wasting more meat, the holes are large but spaced apart. I aim for the base of the neck, and haven't had a turkey even twitch since I switched.

You didn't hit them dead to rights or they were too far out of range. With today's loads, or even good old copper plated 6s, anything inside 35 yds is dead meat with a head shot. You have to know your pattern, abilities, and know how far is too far to shoot.

·
Registered
814 Posts
You didn't hit them dead to rights or they were too far out of range. With today's loads, or even good old copper plated 6s, anything inside 35 yds is dead meat with a head shot. You have to know your pattern, abilities, and know how far is too far to shoot.
As noted I did pattern my gun and he was well within range. If you don't hit brain or spine that turkey will fly off. Most of the time 5's or 6's are effective, i used them for years with no problem. But sometimes problems occur. And you would have to understand how frustrating it was to watch that bird fly off after spending 4 hours working him.

And the most dangerous thing out there is not #2 shot but so called "peckerwoods" who will try to steal your bird or get between you and your bird. Scout well, get off the roads, and if you hear someone working a bird them leave them be. No turkey is worth getting shot or shooting someone else over.

·
Administrator
90,684 Posts
And the most dangerous thing out there is not #2 shot but so called "peckerwoods" who will try to steal your bird or get between you and your bird. Scout well, get off the roads, and if you hear someone working a bird them leave them be. No turkey is worth getting shot or shooting someone else over.
Whatever happened to "Positively identify your target before pulling the trigger"??

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have some old 2X6s that are collecting dust. I used to love those things. I agree a #2 is dangerous. You could miss a turkey and hit someone 80 yards through the woods and hurt them bad.

Every gun shoots differently. Some shoot 4s better, some 5s, some 6s. Mine shoots 6s better.

I can see shooting the middle of the neck, but I do not body shoot turkeys.

Many of the birds I have killed involved several people working the bird at once. I have killed birds where I could hear 3 other parties calling. I was raised that way though. I have seen my dad spook turkeys when it became apparent someone else was going to kill it. I do not practice that, but I will try to call one off someone else (in a safe manner of course!).

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I think the difference would be that the distances and know what I've seen a load of #5's do at 35 yds when a buddy shot one low a couple years ago. We threw away one side of the breast meat and picked pellts out of the other. I can only imagine #2s would be worse.
count the number pellets in a 2 ounce #5 , then count them in 2 ounces of 2 shot....I don't see the waste or game or meat being an issue....I do see the safety or us as hunters in the woods getting shot with #2's (OUCH!)

most folks like 6's because they look good on paper (higher pellet count) but not many know that a #5 carries 1/3 more of its energy at 40 yds than a 6...that being said I shoot #5's but I spent alot of time and money to find a shell, shot combo that would put out a consist pattern, not neccessary the best but consist, one that cover the whole target without any holes or gaps...

·
Premium Member
18,385 Posts
count the number pellets in a 2 ounce #5 , then count them in 2 ounces of 2 shot....I don't see the waste or game or meat being an issue....I do see the safety or us as hunters in the woods getting shot with #2's (OUCH!)

most folks like 6's because they look good on paper (higher pellet count) but not many know that a #5 carries 1/3 more of its energy at 40 yds than a 6...that being said I shoot #5's but I spent alot of time and money to find a shell, shot combo that would put out a consist pattern, not neccessary the best but consist, one that cover the whole target without any holes or gaps...
I'm with you on all that.

I will say that the newer shot out there like Hevi-shot and the Winchester Extended Shot will make those #6's kill like #4's in copperplated lead. Just something to consider.

For what it is worth I shoot Winchester Extendeds in #6 out of a Primos Jellyhead. Took a while to find a combo I was satisfied with, but oh man, does it do the job.

·
Registered
814 Posts

I will say that the newer shot out there like Hevi-shot and the Winchester Extended Shot will make those #6's kill like #4's in copperplated lead. Just something to consider.

For what it is worth I shoot Winchester Extendeds in #6 out of a Primos Jellyhead. Took a while to find a combo I was satisfied with, but oh man, does it do the job.
I agree, those Hevi-Shot #6's do a great job, my only complaint is since they are denser than lead, it takes less shot to equal the same amount of lead. That being said, I do love Hevi-Shot and believe the denser shot more than makes up for less pellets in the downrange energy they deliver.

·
Premium Member
18,385 Posts
I agree, those Hevi-Shot #6's do a great job, my only complaint is since they are denser than lead, it takes less shot to equal the same amount of lead. That being said, I do love Hevi-Shot and believe the denser shot more than makes up for less pellets in the downrange energy they deliver.
I've found that the fewer pellets make absolutely no difference, as a matter of fact they are much better at patterning. Two reasons...1. less bumb and grind going on as the get down the barrel and out into the shot string. Helps prevent flyers. 2. More velocity holds that shot string together longer providing for tighter patterns.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts

I started shooting the Win. Extended 5's last year and won't shoot nothing else as long as I can get my hands on them....I shoot them through a Kicks .680 (Mossberg 935) and I won't hesitate at 60 yds even though I don't ever plan on having to do it, you know how them big birds can be though....only thing better would be buck shot .02

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've found that the fewer pellets make absolutely no difference, as a matter of fact they are much better at patterning. Two reasons...1. less bumb and grind going on as the get down the barrel and out into the shot string. Helps prevent flyers. 2. More velocity holds that shot string together longer providing for tighter patterns.
I agree with that, whick is why after my first year turkey hunting I left the 3.5's at home. More shot but seemed to have a lot of "flyers". The Hevi-Shot patterns much tighter anyway even with the same choke.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.