Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
11,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first quad this year for hunting and a thought crossed my mind today. How exactly do you get a deer up on the back rack. I'm not a very big guy and can't exactly throw one over my shoulder and carry it out of the woods. When I get them in the back of my truck I usually tie a rope around their neck and just man handle them up into the back, but I'm scratching my head a little on how I'm going to get it on my atv.:head:

Big strapping' guys need not reply. Old guys and guys with bad backs, hernia's or hemorrhoids welcome.:fit:

· Registered
1,716 Posts
This may not be the type of answer you were wanting, BUT , there are attachments you can buy ( loaders ) and mount to your atv....

or

one other way I know is to park the atv in a nearby low spot, and drag the deer onto the rack.... if you cannot drag the deer to the low spot, you can tie a rope to the deer and atv and use the atv to drag the deer to the spot, then load it on the rack. I have about 5 or 6 of these areas located around one of my main tower stands, and more located through-out my lease.

or

take a big friend with you .... :biggrin:

or

only kill small deer.....:smack:

MET

· Premium Member
17,138 Posts
I got my first quad this year for hunting and a thought crossed my mind today. How exactly do you get a deer up on the back rack. I'm not a very big guy and can't exactly throw one over my shoulder and carry it out of the woods. When I get them in the back of my truck I usually tie a rope around their neck and just man handle them up into the back, but I'm scratching my head a little on how I'm going to get it on my atv.:head:

Big strapping' guys need not reply. Old guys and guys with bad backs, hernia's or hemorrhoids welcome.:fit:
I've seen a thing you mount an the front of your atv,that will pick up the deer and pitch it up on the front rack.you just drive forward.

But I don't know what you call it.seen it on tv.

· Premium Member
17,138 Posts

Just kill yearlings,we'll take care of the rest.:razz::fit:

get an atv trailor with a gate, closer to the ground.:biggrin:

I'm only 5'8....180lbs........how big a boy are ya...to quote Roy D Mercer

· Registered
1,082 Posts
i drag the deer next to the 4 wheeler, get up on the seat grab the horns or back legs, pull deer up over seat as i walk off the other side draping the deer over the seat. then you can roll deer backwards onto the rack and tie down (it helps to have a rag to clean the blood off your seat though:biggrin::biggrin:)

· Registered
23,321 Posts
.270, your just big.

John, honestly I just man handle them up on the rack. I usually wind up standing on the rear rack, seat or some combination of both and require a good break after it's loaded before I can see to drive.:smack:

5'9" - 190 lbs. - 42 years of age :up:

· Registered
1,268 Posts
The easiest way I found is to try to slide/pull them up on the 4 wheeler rack from the side, a half at a time. If you can get the top half onto your rack, then tie or wrap some rope onto their horns or neck, while holding them with one hand, then it's usually pretty easy to swing the other half around onto the rack.

I'll never forget a muzzle loading hunt once where I had just killed a butt ugly messed up rack 7 point. I heard my son, who was about 12 at the time, shoot from his stand about a half mile away. We usually had walkie talkies and whenever I heard him shoot, I'd check in to see what he'd killed, or mainly, just make sure he didn't accidently shoot himself. That morning I'd been wrestling with my buck, and realized I'd left my walkie talkie at camp. I kinda sorta paniced, and the adrenaline kicked in, and Mr. Buck's rear landed on the rack with ease. Turned out my son had killed him a little buck too.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
I saw a young teenage boy load a deer in an unusual way. He backed the 4 wheeler up to the deer. Then he popped a wheelie- setting the quad on its tail. Rolled the deer upto the back rack and tied it up. He then grabbed the front of the quad and lifted his feet- down came the quad with deer on back. I thought that it was a hard way to go, but interesting to watch. He did not want my help.

· Registered
7,196 Posts
Be sure to take something to tie them off with. Nothing makes your day like wrestling one up on the rack and then having it fall off going up a hill.

I usually drag them to where I can pick them up with my little tilt bed 4 wheeler trailer, or find a low spot.

My favorite method is to pick them up with the front end loader on the tractor.

· Registered
1,716 Posts
I saw a young teenage boy load a deer in an unusual way. He backed the 4 wheeler up to the deer. Then he popped a wheelie- setting the quad on its tail. Rolled the deer upto the back rack and tied it up. He then grabbed the front of the quad and lifted his feet- down came the quad with deer on back. I thought that it was a hard way to go, but interesting to watch. He did not want my help.

Gotta hand it to ya...... thats a new first for me...... but I think I would like to see it done once just for the fun of it.:clap:

· Registered
3,451 Posts
Throw a rope over a over hanging limb use the quad to hoist the deer up, tie off the rope and re-postion your quad under the deer or just shoot small deer.:thumb:
That's what I do. That is, if I can't get a tractor with a front-end loader to it. The rope hoist will work without a limb to. Just tie the rope around the trunk of the tree as high as you can get it. Stand on the back of the 4-wheeler if you have to.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.