Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in my March/April edition of DU. Toward the end of the magazine it had an interesting article about the banding process of migratory birds with a catchy title "Blind on the Wing". I found the article very interesting and I think you will to. Just wanted to let everyone know. :thumb:

**One interesting thing I found was the shortages of Banded birds Reported.. For Example from 1914-2004 6,243,202 Mallards were banded and only 990,815 were reported.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Yea,Bands are are trophys. I keep looking for some but not yet.Its like the banded birds don't come through here.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've been fortunate enough to get a couple of bands in 23 years of duck hunting. So what I can't understand is why someone who is lucky enough to shoot a banded bird, won't call it in. The article in DU this month states that some people don't call them in in order to keep a more "liberal" limit on ducks. The article went on to state that if enough info isn't called in ,the limits could be reduced. I don't know about everyone else, but when I drop a duck, I automaticaly think "I wonder if this one has got a band". I also think that any wounded duck I wasn't able to retrieve surely has a band and I look even harder to find them. To learn where that duck was banded, how old it was when it was banded and how old it is now is so interesting to me that I would never refuse to call one in. Yet, the USFW have to band ducks with "reward" bands to entice people to do so. I have never shot a "reward" duck, but I can honestly say that I care more about that the band than the money. Having those certificates and knowing I was lucky enough to get a banded bird is far more satisfying. Let the USFW keep the money to band more birds and be able to fund more research. :thumb:

·
Banned
385 Posts
I've reported all of mine(9).

One was a double banded greenhead with a reward that was expired. Didn't make no difference to me. The coolest one was what they call a plasticine band which is a smaller/thinner band that is filled with a soft plastic buffer put on the duck as a duckling then as it get's older the plactic wears away. Killed it season before this last one. it was banded in 99 and on the certificate where it list whether it is a drake or hen it says :unknown: because when they are ducklings they all look alike.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I would much rather kill a banded bird than kill a deer anyday, but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:eek:mg: :woohoo: If I ever kill a banded bird I will sure call it in, tell everyone, and post pics on here. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts