Ducks and the wind

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Arkansas duck hunter, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Arkansas duck hunter

Arkansas duck hunter Member<br>2017 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner

How do yalls hunts usually go in the wind? Going in the morning but not sure what to expect with 20-30 mph wind

2. Deadwood

Deadwood Well-Known Member

was wondering the same thing, its gona effect one thing for sure...thats how you shoot, its gona blow everything you shoot.

3. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

Id rather have a lot of wind than no wind any day

4. Deadwood

Deadwood Well-Known Member

not being rude but what does the wind do, and this isnt my thread sorry im new at this duck huntin

5. Yell County Bowhunter

Yell County Bowhunter Well-Known Member

IMO, the good side is they won't raft up on open water, the bad side is they will have trouble getting into the timber, find the right combination and choose wisely and you could have a good day...

6. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Where I hunt - wind is a blessing. Runs ducks off the big water and puts them in the sloughs where you can hunt them. Wind also positions ducks all around the bigwater - wind from the west - the ducks will work into the wind and the sloughs on the west side of the lake will be best. If you scouted today while it was calm and found a few ducks - there may be nothing there tomorrow with the strong wind. Have to scout more off experience than todays ducks.

7. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

Typically a duck will land flying into the wind. They use the wind to help stop them when they cup their wings.

8. wood duck whacker

wood duck whacker Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying if you plan to hunt big water or have to boat on big water be careful and make sure your boat is big enough. In my experiance in high winds ducks seem to stay put. They have a hard time getting down and generally won't circle much. Ducks will spread those wings and catch that wind and be gone before you can think about shootin them so shoot fast if ya get a chance. Be careful most of all. Being tough and hunting hard conditions we all like to be proud of, but if your abilitys and equipment are not satisfactory. Ain't no sense in goin.

9. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

Glad I couldn't hunt this morning anyway....This wind is rocking the house!! :eek:

10. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That's not a wind - this is a wind - as crocodile Dundee would say. I have to boat on some open water and that ain't happening this morning.

11. GotPork

GotPork Select Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>The Naked Retrei

:fit: Mornin SwampCat, and good luck to all you duck hunters, them suckers are gonna be comin in at bout 150mph today!!:smack:

12. juleo

juleo Well-Known Member

Conway
    I was lined up to take my boss's son this morning. He asked me if it was safe to be out on the water when the wind was this bad. I replied and said it is a horrible idea. Needless to say, my excuse to come in late to work this morning is gone.

13. mach316

mach316 Well-Known Member

Love the wind, geese and ducks will be flying low to t he ground. A skybuster's dream..

14. Gumbo Guru

Gumbo Guru Member<br>2013-14 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

I'm not sure I have enough weight on my decoys to keep them in one spot today.

15. juleo

juleo Well-Known Member

Conway
    I'm sitting at work in a 20ft tall metal building and am not sure it is going to stay in one spot today...

16. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

No amount of ducks is worth getting out in this mess. I'm staying close to the fire. :biggrin:

17. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

I hear ya! Same here,I'll go another day.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

18. Charley Frank

Charley Frank Well-Known Member

I went and I didn't have enough weight on my Dekes they were layin on their sides - got 3 and blaming this wind for the poor shooting - should've limited

19. rabbitdundied

rabbitdundied Well-Known Member

We worked in three groups in the timber this morning. Had a widow maker fall about ten yards behind us which was disconserting. Other than few ducks it was ok.

20. theplayer

theplayer Well-Known Member

x2
    They weren't flying where I went today. They pretty much stayed on the water.