Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I want to tape some teal wings onto some plastic bumpers to help train my dog, as she is not so fond of all the feathers in her mouth on a real hunt. Do I need to do anything to this wings after I clip them off the bird? Should I add salt to the ends of the wing shafts like I would a squirrel tail? Any suggestions would be great.

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
So, I want to tape some teal wings onto some plastic bumpers to help train my dog, as she is not so fond of all the feathers in her mouth on a real hunt. Do I need to do anything to this wings after I clip them off the bird? Should I add salt to the ends of the wing shafts like I would a squirrel tail? Any suggestions would be great.
I have a couple winds from a duck last year and I just salted the ends and they never did smell or anything. Just add a little salt and you will be fine. :up:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
When she brings the bumper with the wing/frozen duck back to you tell here to heal and start walking before she gets to you. If she drops the bumper/duck just pick it up and put it back in her mouth and tell her to "Hold it" and again start walking. She will soon be walking with you and hold the bumper/duck. This has always worked with my dogs. When you stop, giver the command to sit. If she drops the duck repeat. Of course your dog has to know what "heal and sit" mean. She will soon learn what Hold means.

·
Registered
383 Posts
that is what force fetching does is makes the dog hold it weather it wants to or not no matter what it feels like in its mouth. by the dog dropping it it is showing that he is still in contol and he is retriving on his own terms. I suggest taking to a pro to have force fetched. I did my own dog but under the watch of a pro. He turned out wonderfull . He will bring back a duck that is still alive screaming and getting beat in the face with a wing and will not drop untill told to realese. you can try other things with maybe mild sucess but to have that nice hold and keep it in there mouth untill "you" are ready to take it, force fetch is a must.:up:

·
Registered
383 Posts
When she brings the bumper with the wing/frozen duck back to you tell here to heal and start walking before she gets to you. If she drops the bumper/duck just pick it up and put it back in her mouth and tell her to "Hold it" and again start walking. She will soon be walking with you and hold the bumper/duck. This has always worked with my dogs. When you stop, giver the command to sit. If she drops the duck repeat. Of course your dog has to know what "heal and sit" mean. She will soon learn what Hold means.
Here he is talking about indirect pressure( taking the dogs mind off what he is doing wrong and enforcing anouther command) be carefull with this concept of a dog that has not been forcefetched you can con fuse the dog and kill his natural drive to retrive.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
that is what force fetching does is makes the dog hold it weather it wants to or not no matter what it feels like in its mouth. by the dog dropping it it is showing that he is still in contol and he is retriving on his own terms. I suggest taking to a pro to have force fetched. I did my own dog but under the watch of a pro. He turned out wonderfull . He will bring back a duck that is still alive screaming and getting beat in the face with a wing and will not drop untill told to realese. you can try other things with maybe mild sucess but to have that nice hold and keep it in there mouth untill "you" are ready to take it, force fetch is a must.:up:
Rusty, I will disagree as I have trained several dogs that have achieved the Hunting Retriever Champion title without using the force fetch method. Granted some dogs do need to be force fetched but to say that all dogs is a must is wrong.

·
Registered
383 Posts
but by telling a dog to sit and hold that is a form of force fetching but not incorperating all the steps. I am not saying it can't be done but it will also help in the control department later it teaches a dog much more than just to hold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.