Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a little greenwing teal this morning and I was thinking about having it mounted. I've had a few ducks done before in the past, but I was wondering how long I might be able to store it in my deep freeze before I needed to get it to the taxidermist. Also I have usually put them down into a pair of knee- hi's, or pantyhose to protect the feathers, would a tube sock work just as well? Also what else should I do to protect it in my freezer?

JR

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
i was told by a couple of taxidermist to NOT put them in the freezer in panythose. they said the best way was to tuck the head under a wing or onto the back and put in a freezer bag and squeeze all the air out and seal it. you can then put that into another bag if you want for added protection. i may be wrong but i think they will last in the freezer for a year or more done this way?

·
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, I wonder why? I've done my others like that, but I had took them to the taxidermist within a day or two after killing them.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
OUCH!!! I need to call a bro of mine tomorrow! I told him to stick his in a pair of panty-hose, 'cause I had always been told to do that. But, I also took mine in within a day or two at the longest.

Thanks for the 4-1-1!!!

·
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to a taxidermist last night and he told me that if you put it in a ziplock bag and get all of the air out of it that it could easily last up to a year in the freezer. He said that the air can cause your bird to have freezer burn so you need to eliminate as much air as possible.

·
Registered
140 Posts
IM sure if you put the bird in something other than just the nylon its self it might be ok. but just straight pantyhose will not work.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I do not have any problem with birds in pantyhose, but they definately need to be in some sort of airtight plastic bag. DO NOT put them with any kind of PAPER product or anything that will draw moisture out of the bird. This speeds up the freezer burn process. Birds can be stored for years in an air tight plastic bag. They may freezer burn a little round the eyes/head etc, but the feet are the first thing to burn. If in a tight bag, the feet will last a year with little burn. A little burn is an easy fix. Major burn to the feet mean a less "plump" looking foot. Unless you are using a two part injectible, you are going to get a good bit of foot shrinkage anyways. Look at some birds you have on the wall now and you will see what i mean. TD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts