Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service wants to increase the cost of the federal duck stamp.

The stamp costs $15, but President Bush's 2009 budget proposal asks Congress to raise it to $25. It’s been 17 years since the last increase.

The stamp was created in 1934 to raise money to purchase land in and around waterfowl habitat or for permanent easements, which can’t be touched by landowners.

Last year, the Fish and Wildlife Service raised $24.2 million from the sale of more than 1.6 million duck stamps. The price increase would bring in another $14 million a year. For every dollar spent on Federal Duck Stamps, 98 cents goes toward the purchase of wetlands

·
Administrator
81,471 Posts
Wow!! That's a pretty hefty increase!!

They are going to price the duck hunters right out of the sport.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
If someone could show me the deeds where the federal goverment had or was buying the land that this price increase was supposed to be for, then I'd be all for it.

I just know how monies allocated for one project seem to find their way to another.

I don't want to pay more for a duck stamp. But if it, for certain; was buying nesting and breeding habitat I'd be willing to pay the extra tariff.

Additional ground to actually hunt on would be great, but without good nesting habitat; you could hunt anywhere and still not see a duck!!!

I always joke about going elephant hunting out on the farm. If I don't see any deer on that day then I say I was elephant hunting, since I didn't see any of those either!!! The same logic applies here too.

·
Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn
3,642 Posts
That would just make it even less likely that I rejoin the ranks of duck hunters.... I thought about buying my stamps this past season and actually doing some hunting... but really didn't have the time. When I found a little time, I just couldn't justify the current cost of stamps for a day or two of hunting. Considering the fact that I am lucky to have three or four days in an entire duck season to go hunt (assuming weather and friends with land access), it is going to be even more difficult to justify... especially for those of us with a limited budget.

For those who don't choke at the thought of a couple thousan dollars a year for a duck lease and/or guide services, such an increase would not mean much. Then again, we know from past experience that hunting is rapidly becoming a sport for those with money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts