Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of duck shot y’all use?
I use cheap usually Winchester Experts.

Heard you can’t use Blind Side in ported barrels. That true?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
i have the 20 gauge #5 boss shells and they are awesome. They performed brilliantly nestled in my man purse whilst firing the gun zero times in four days.
Shotgun shell companies are going to have to invest in duck habitat or they aren’t going to be selling any steel shot soon.
On the flip side, I haven’t heard of anyone killing any ducks and you still can’t find a dang box of steel shot anywhere. What gives?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They have a little collection of steel shot at bass pro. At least they did a few years ago.

·
Registered
676 Posts
So...don't know about Blind Side, but...

I watched a guy rip the end of an extended, ported choke shooting the old, original Black Cloud this past October. Those "belts" on the steel pellets catch in the ports, especially tubes with bigger/longer ports, and just shear the metal right at the end of the barrel.

I liked the original Black Cloud, personally, but it did more damage to the birds up close. I tend to shoot Drylok most of the time. I tried some of the Boss Bismuth this year early on but don't know that it made a real difference...but I was shooting an older fixed choke gun that I couldn't shoot steel shot through. I know a lot of people shoot the Experts, but they've always been real dirty, imo. Never had good luck with Kent Fasteel, either, which is kind of a shame, since they are less expensive.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Shotgun shell companies are going to have to invest in duck habitat or they aren’t going to be selling any steel shot soon.
On the flip side, I haven’t heard of anyone killing any ducks and you still can’t find a dang box of steel shot anywhere. What gives?
NEWSFLASH! You can’t find high brass lead shot either.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got lucky and bought a case of numba 2 Winchester xperts end of 19-20 season. Value of that case has tripled. Afraid to find ducks cause then I’ll have to shoot those expensive shells. Side note If y’all haven’t stocked up on turkey shells.... you better sharpen a stick...

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Got lucky and bought a case of numba 2 Winchester xperts end of 19-20 season. Value of that case has tripled. Afraid to find ducks cause then I’ll have to shoot those expensive shells. Side note If y’all haven’t stocked up on turkey shells.... you better sharpen a stick...
I saw two guys eyeballing the last two boxes of turkey loads at academy yesterday. Those dudes were $50+ for a box of 5. One guy grabbed a box and I said you aren’t seriously buying $10/round shotgun shells are you? I don’t think he realized it was only 5 shells. Then I told him to follow me to leadpoisons place and we sold him bird shot for $5/round.

·
Registered
10,106 Posts
I’ve seen plenty of steel shot around Stuttgart.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I normally shoot Kent Fasteel. I always have about 3 cases. I’m just finishing up a case of Blindsides I bought a couple of summers ago when I didn’t readily find Kent’s. They’ve done well. I’ve been impressed. To me they do burn a little dirtier than the Kent’s. I’ve got in reserve a case of original Kent’s and the 2.0 Kent’s. I guess they took the original out of production. I have no data on the 2.0. The originals I love and have shot them for the last 10 years. They used to be moderately priced but now they are right up there in the 200+ range.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I normally shoot Kent Fasteel. I always have about 3 cases. I’m just finishing up a case of Blindsides I bought a couple of summers ago when I didn’t readily find Kent’s. They’ve done well. I’ve been impressed. To me they do burn a little dirtier than the Kent’s. I’ve got in reserve a case of original Kent’s and the 2.0 Kent’s. I guess they took the original out of production. I have no data on the 2.0. The originals I love and have shot them for the last 10 years. They used to be moderately priced but now they are right up there in the 200+ range.
Have you ever had trouble with the wads not clearing the barrel on them Kents ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts