Duck Shot?--I need new shells!!!

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Matthew.loftis, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Matthew.loftis

Matthew.loftis Well-Known Member

Just curious what shells you all use. I shoot a SBE2 w/ a kicks high flyer full extended choke. I was hunting yesterday afternoon and decoyed a big drake at a/b 18yds. I pulled up, put the bead on him and pulled the trigger. For the second time this year I saw the pellets from my 3.5 Kent Fasteel encircle the bird. Pellets hit behind him, in front of him and on both sides.

NO KILL! The duck jumped straight up and flew off. I was so dejected, I didn't even pull the trigger again. I need new shells. I've had good luck w/ Black Cloud but I hate tossing a dollar everytime I pull the trigger. Guess I'll have to stop "floatin' a fourth." :biggrin:

2. marionfd728

marionfd728 Well-Known Member

marion
    winchester xperts 3.5 bb's:up: normally shoot supremes but this case was too good a deal to pass on. never had any problems with winchester

3. gotyacovered

gotyacovered Well-Known Member

maybe you should try a different choke :dontknow:

4. WackinNstackin

WackinNstackin Well-Known Member

Or pattern the one you got with diff size shot.

5. qwack smacker 1on1

qwack smacker 1on1 Well-Known Member

just invite me and you wont waste anymore money

6. qwack smacker 1on1

qwack smacker 1on1 Well-Known Member

try the heavy metal mcswains has some ive herd very good about them..ive been shooting the remington 3-1/2 2 this yr and been pretty pleased with them

7. Matthew.loftis

I don't know if it's the choke necessarily. I don't recall having any problems last year out of it. Of course, I didn't pull the trigger much last year. :clap:

I patterned it this weekend by missing that drake. Last weekend, slightly longer shot on a cripple, the same thing happened. Can you shoot BBs on the bayou?

8. xdamagexx

xdamagexx Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner

got some Hevi-Metals 3.5 2's this season and they been working great. but dang Expensive they way i shoot. bought a case a lil over a week ago and its almost gone. :eek: $300 in 2 weeks.. :eek: shot two boxes yesterday!! it was fun but i figure i coulda done the same killin with 2 boxes of Kents, Estates or Xperts. never really had too much problem with any of em that size. i almost have been noticing better groups with 3". im prob gonna get Estates next week when i have to buy more. im gonna have to work till March just to pay off my shell bill. :)

9. cuppedup

cuppedup Well-Known Member

2 3/4 #6 HIGH BRASS:whistle:

10. FOURCHE CREEK

FOURCHE CREEK Well-Known Member

go back to the sbe (original) choke in improved or modified...problem solved

11. gotyacovered

gotyacovered Well-Known Member

man, i have a extended range choke and as long as i have the same shot size it patterns the same... granted... i shoot the cheap stuff. but like i said... my starting place would be to shoot the same shells with the factory choke... or borrow a buddies. i love my choke and cant imagine hunting w/o it...

12. mallard17

mallard17 Member<br>2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner

I have SBE2 and Kick's and for me 3 inch Federal #4's pattern the best out to 45 yds

13. Matthew.loftis

Federal Turkey Load perhaps?

I think I'm going to go back down to 3" #2s. Cheap enough that I can afford shooting 3 times each time. --OR-- Does anyone want to try out a new Kick's High Flyer? :wink:

14. armyguy

armyguy Well-Known Member

ahhh the good old days

15. YellanMan

YellanMan Well-Known Member

I've found that supreme 3" #3 shoot the best out of my sbe with extended range patternmaster.

16. SKEETER

SKEETER Well-Known Member

NE AR
    Heavy metal is better than what I remember lead to be, its bad to the bone. When I shot em with that they are DRT on cripple shooting across the water

17. green_head_getter

green_head_getter Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner

I shot black clouds last year. I like the load but same number of cripples. I shot the federal supreme's and they kill em but more importantly shoot and pattern great. Tried the heavi metals last week. Not to impressed. They did ok I guess but not worth $21 a box. I will not be paying more than $17 anymore. Personal opinion. 3.5" pattern worse btw so go back to 3". I shoot 2's

18. jbird

jbird Member

nea
    and low brass #6,,,,,KILLS THEM DEAD

19. GunnerX2

GunnerX2 Well-Known Member

I shoot a Win SX3 with patternmaster extended range choke.Winchester 3 1/2 #2s are great. Pattern good. But 3 inch #2 or 4 pattern alot better out to 45 yards. Buddy has same set up as you and i finnaly got him to switch to 3 inch win #2s. Alot better pattern. Just depends on how far you are shootin at em. Closer the better.

20. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

HEVI-METAL

Seriously.... lake, field, timber!!!! Ducks hit the water dead!!!