Duck motor question

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by sprtsmn001, Jan 2, 2011.

1. sprtsmn001

sprtsmn001 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone has or knows of anyone who has taken their boat that requires a long shaft motor (20") and added a jack plate or something to enable them to use a short shaft (15") engine? I've heard about taking a jack plate and turning it upside down to make the caviltation plate on the engine be level with the bottom of the boat, but not sure if anyone has done that successfully. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. sprtsmn001

Also, has anyone heard of conversion kits that can be used to make the short shaft engines long shaft ones?

3. Ryan_289

Ryan_289 Well-Known Member

That is the best way to do it. What motor do you have? You might find someone that has a longshaft that wants a shortshaft. You could swap parts.

4. greenhead smackdown

greenhead smackdown Well-Known Member

You will be best to find another motor that is longshaft or find a lower unit/midsection for your current motor.

5. nturchi

nturchi Well-Known Member

I would thing the handle would get in the way of the transom if you lowered it with a jack plate.

6. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking too. Better off just swapping motors or getting a different mid section and lower unit. I would just swap motors since I am mechanically declined. :up:

7. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

I don't think your motor would tilt up very far if it were on a tall transom boat. I just had a long shaft lower put on my short shaft suzuki so I could by a tall transom boat. With the extra weight of the cmc pt-130 the tall transom is a lot better. I like having a longshaft motor so far, it seems to do better in shallow water than the short did. I got a hookup on the swap though. A friend gave me the lower unit and parts, and a friend of his made the swap at the price of my old lower unit...which I offered to trade for the longshaft lower anyway :thumb:

8. Ozone

Ozone Well-Known Member

I cut down my express that was made for a long shaft, and mounted a short shaft on it.

9. sprtsmn001

I took the advice and traded for a long shaft Suzuki....Thanks for the input.

10. getemshug

getemshug Well-Known Member

We did this to my war eagle also