Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this may not be any good without pics, but i forgot to load them to photobucket last night, but this weekend I was out at Lake Willistein in Maumelle and saw a duck that I have never seen before. It looked like a mallard, but with a brown head and white body. I thougth about a "tame" cross, but never seen one like this, most of the time you get a molted look, but this was a perfect looking mallard with different colors. He was a very pretty duck.

Other thing, did get a picture of a canadian goose witha band, which I thought was pretty cool. They will be posted tonight, but does anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was down next to a cypress slough we hunt and noticed what simmed like an albino wood duck the male had all its color but was with a white duck they souned and male looked like a wood duck the ducks even circled right in front of me so i got a good second look at it has anyone herd of this?

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I've seen ducks very similar to that. I may be wrong but I think that it may be a crossbreed. Maybe a mallard with a Pekin duck or something. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I would think that's what that duck may be. Cool pics by the way, I loved the banded Canadian.

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
When I went to school at UAMS and lived in LR, there were several of those ducks along with regular mallards at our apartments at Shadow Lake. I always figured they were a crossbreed with some tame ducks there... I think mallards will breed with about any duck that will let them!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
A definite farm bred mallard with a domestic farm duck of some sort. But cool looking none the less. More than likely would be a dead duck given he swam or flew into a spread during the season.:cool:

Nice leg iron on the honker as well.

Averyhntr

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
There's one of these at a local park that I see pretty regular. I never knew what it was just guessed it to be a domesticated "farm" duck of some kind.

But, I'd sure put some pellets in him if he slipped into the dekes!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Looks Gumbo before the feathers come off. :biggrin: I'd bet Mallard that quit migrating and started breeding with the local gals at a nearby farm.

·
Super Member<br>2010 Bowhunting Contest Winner
4,212 Posts
i'mma have to agree with them....crossbreed of a tame duck....like the jewelry on that canada! and just for the record...Canadian geese don't exist...its a Canada goose.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
As Hoot Gibson says "Canadian's (sp) are people"
I say "Shoot Canada's not Canadian's"....

Excellent pictures, very cool to get the goose on the rock with that silver shining.

tame duck...and local honk prob, GFC bands a slew of em every summer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He is from canada and that make him a canadian. There are not any born anywhere else..... Canada goose means that is where he is from right?!?!?!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Just playing devil's advocate, but not all Canada geese are actually from Canada. So many of them become resident geese and spend summers here as well as raise young here. So their offspring sometimes never see Canada......Thus, the early resident goose season since some areas are full of them. :thumb:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't feel as bad shooting Canadians, but I am not shooting Americans, so I will just keep it in my little head that they are all Canadians, even though I know they are not.......:biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts