Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody help me out with the species of duck? Only thing I can come up with is a Red Breasted Merganser. Did not see the bird flying, just cupped up and hit the water. Short stubby tail and beak of a merganser(the beak looks really red because of blood, took a pellet right above it and bled like crazy). Same size as a Gadwall.
Tree Soil Sand Water bird Goose
Peccary Boar Soil Snout Suidae
Bird Beak Water bird Feather Goose

Attachments

· Registered
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bird Mergus Vertebrate Beak Duck

after some research through the extensive AGFC waterfowl handbook, their pictures from the 1800's didn't have much description. But I found this pictured online. Says that it is a Red Breasted Merganser hen. I just got through making a comment the other day that I have never shot or even seen a Merganser that wasn't of the hooded variety. Does anyone know how common they are? Has anybody had any experiences shooting them before?

Attachments

· Registered
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Common looks a little closer to what I have. Their temperment is pretty hostile as well. My buddy went and retrieved it and threw it to me and it attacked, hissing and flogging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.