Duck Hunting Bags.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by duck, Dec 20, 2010.

1. duck

duck Well-Known Member

Whats up with all the luggage when we go duck hunting? Am I the only one that duck hunts now without dragging a heavy bag. They clog up the blind or the boat. If you walk way back in the woods, you have decoys, your gun, and carrying ducks coming out. It seems everybody I know has to carry a big overstuffed bag. I dont get it. All me and my dad take is shells and maybe a crackers and we just put them in our coat pockets.

2. derk8586

derk8586 Well-Known Member

haha. i know what ya mean. some of my buddies are like that. they all wanna bring their bid blind bags with them full of stuff. yet they neveropen it the whole trip except to get some shells out. :fit:

3. duck

duck Well-Known Member

Thats what Im talking about. When your all in the boat, thats all you need is another 150 pounds of crap. Just put your shell in your pocket and make some more room in the boat.

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Well-Known Member

I used to be that way with Duck & Bow hunting, thought I needed to take "everything" just in case the situation called for it..But never even opened it for anything other than shells and a cracker, I have more blind bags and fanny packs than Gander mtn. has right now that go unused...Its not worth carrying much if you do alot of walking..I'm down to a bag of dekes, gun, & 2 bandoliers of shells..All ya need right?

5. derk8586

yep! im gettin were i take less and less everytime. i like room in the boat. and if im walkin i dont like carrying no more than i have to. i love having my swamp seat to sit beside a tree in the timber. and its lightweight and has a strap. But i havent used it all year. just something else to carry. same goes for mallard machine and all those motion dekes. id rather not carry them and kick water. If i would have only had this mindset years ago i wouldnt have bought all this crap!:fit:

6. My duck bag...I have a strapped tree-stand step for hanging stuff on. I have a box of shells, a tote, a headlamp, camo gloves, two facemasks, facepaint, an emergency space-blanket, wallet, iPhone, keys, knife, my duck calls and goose honker, and extra gun chokes. Obviously, all necessities. :up:

That is why I carry my sweet Delta duck bag.

7. I'll give you 50 bucks for all of the aforementioned worthless "weight set" that you no longer use for duck hunting. :whistle:

8. derk8586

:fit: i hear ya. im not saying i never use it. just saying when i walk in i dont take nothing except what i need. but i have buddies that wanna fill my boat up with bags sometimes. its crazy. the funniest thing is they never use any of it but they HAVE to bring it everytime.

9. wood duck whacker

wood duck whacker Well-Known Member

i slim down to the bare when walking in but i always carry at least 3 pairs of gloves shells mask or paint, and at least one water and a coke and a duck tote and a lighter.

10. ace777

ace777 Well-Known Member

all i take is my shell belt, call lanyard, decoys and a couple of granola bars. never take a bag:head::head:

11. CutDown

CutDown Well-Known Member

Last time I checked bags are legal, I will use them....

12. Ozone

Ozone Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I took everything I could think to take. One snowy day I took off on a long trek, (5 miles). Probably took 3 boxes of shells, etc.

The morning went fine, as I hiked across the frozen fields, covered with about an inch of snow. I had on hip boots. Then the fields thawed abit, and I began breaking through to the mud, every step. I had to raise my feet to my knees every step. Due to the snow, I couldn't tell where the roads were.

Nearly didn't make it home.

That SHOULD have broke me. Now I only take two boxes of shells, and hunt the metro!

13. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

I don't hunt the Metro but I thought they had a shell limit? :shrug:

I have two different bags. One is a big one that I put my thermos of coffee, snacks, liner gloves, neoprene gloves, chokes, maps, 1st aid kit, etc.......
    The other bag I have is a smaller version for when I walk in. I have walked in with my big blind bag and that is when I realized that I need a smaller one so I won't haul as much junk in with me. :biggrin:

14. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

Bayou Metro shoulder bags !! LoL

15. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

It was a gift. :fit:

16. snydedawg

snydedawg Well-Known Member

I seem to split the difference in too much and too little. But if I'm hiking in... it is bare neccessities!! Ammo, water and dekes.... and even then I tote featherlite or inflatables dekes.

But when I'm in the boat... I tote a load. Tools, spare grub, water, extra clothes (I'm a might clumsy and take a dip once and again) whatever the weather and conditions dictate. We don't usually run more than three to a boat anyway, so the extra gear ain't an issue and when I need it.. it's there!

17. jcblough

jcblough Well-Known Member

I carry only what fits in my pockets - that's it.

18. Matthew.loftis

Matthew.loftis Well-Known Member

I bought a boat to carry all my ****e. It's even got a false bottom for the shells and extra greenheads from the metro. Hardly ever walk in anymore, but when i do, I carry shells and calls. I make my dog (friend's son) carry the dekes. :biggrin: