Arkansas Hunting banner
141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
2,094 Posts
I’m not one to want to hunt with large groups it just isn’t my thing, been there done that.

if you don’t hunt private ground or have access to it your in for a chit show on public.
I hunt by myself —— with the Lab or with Family. If you run and gun lightly, you’re not as likely to get bent out of shape when rudeness occurs on Public land. Just keep quiet and move on. If I go into an area and find out I am surrounded, I sit and count trees. I am not going to swing shoot someone elses Ducks that got in earlier than I did. The only exception to this is if I get way, way away from a group and they keep following me and shining their light then I stop and hunt anyway. I guided for 7 years. I am not into hunting with someone I do not know. I have no idea how they handle firearms and once you get into a bad situation, you may not get out of it until you or your dog are shot.

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
2,094 Posts
How is Bayou Meto. Any water even in the ditch around Hallowell or at first or second turnaround?
With all due respect, that’s a question you have to answer for yourself. No one here in there right mind will tell you. One of the main things about public timber hunting is getting to new water first. You do that by watching your levels and getting out there and working to find Ducks. Many of us here won’t admit it but we have wasted a lot of hunts just looking.

·
Premium Member
20,954 Posts
. I am not into hunting with someone I do not know. I have no idea how they handle firearms and once you get into a bad situation, you may not get out of it until you or your dog are shot.
This is the main reason and I’ve reeled back my invites. I hunt public 99.9% of the time and have learned to be mobile and select my days through the week. The chit show I reference is still real.

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
2,094 Posts
This is the main reason and I’ve reeled back my invites. I hunt public 99.9% of the time and have learned to be mobile and select my days through the week. The chit show I reference is still real.
Like Harley Gill says: “ If you tell one person, you’ve told the world. “.

Yes the manure show is real. The “ extended range choke “, 3.5” shells and the notion of 50 yard shots is one of the worst things that has ever happened to public hunting. I have said it before and I will say it again, I have sat back and watched groups stand under a hole and pass shoot ducks right above the tree tops. It has destroyed the concept of workable ducks in public timber.

Ducks used to be shy late in the season. They are shy when they get here. Light polution, noise polution, etc.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Duck hunters mad about a draw on the WMA...Afraid they might miss a day

Squirrel/deer/rabbit hunter can't even set foot on the WMA for 60 days...

Entitled holier than thou attitudes will be the end of duck hunting on WMAs and I CANT wait....
yep and when they close the road to vehicle access then you pretty much have to boat in.But let’s punish everyone in the name a duck not getting disturbed.
There are right at about 130 WMA's in Arkansas. Everyone I believe allow small game hunting. Majority offer deer hunting at least archery hunting if not a gun season. I'm going to toss out maybe being kind that 50 out of those 130 have some type of water structure on it that will occasionally hold some ducks. Many are rain dependent for that to happen so out of the 60 day duck season one might get lucky and have 40 days of any water worth holding a few ducks. Toss out another kind number and say about 30 WMAs have some type of management for waterfowl.

Sometimes those managed areas may close off a few roads here and there. However one can still access via foot if they chose to do so to hunt deer and small game. About 20-30 have boat restrictions during the waterfowl season (and again that's probably a kind number). Very very few are closed to small game hunting. Out of those 130 WMA's and the ones that do have some type of water structure there are probably 10 that don't allow waterfowl hunting at all.

The handful of WMA's that are managed for waterfowl still have hundreds to thousands of dry acres for small and big game hunting.

There are 10 NWR's in Arkansas. To my knowledge all allow small game hunting and most allow at least archery hunting for deer. 3 for sure are 100% closed to waterfowl hunting(Holla Bend, Wapanooca, and Big Lake) I'm not positive about others that are closed to waterfowl, I'm sure I missed one or two. Also one of those(Cache NWR) is closed the first two days of opening duck season.

Deer Archery is opened for 5 months and a few days in September. Squirrel opens in May. Rabbit and majority of other small game are open for 6 months solid.

Waterfowl is total of 60 days plus 2 days for the youth and vets. So 62 days. One solid month in January. About 9 days in November. 18 or so days in December.

There are even 2 days in December (Christmas Eve and Day) that are closed to waterfowl but opened for all else. Also the same during the first split break.

There is also early waterfowl season...teal. Canada Goose, and early portion all goose season. However no access is closed anywhere for other hunters. Nothing is managed for this. Then there is the snow goose conservation. Very little of that is done on public land but again all areas normally accessible are still accessible during the conservation hunt.

So small game and deer hunters are really complaining that less than half of the WMA in Arkansas have a few areas flooded or gates closed for waterfowl?

Oh let me add, 95% of these WMA's and 100% of the NWR's end waterfowl hunting at 12:00 pm. So less than 6 hours of waterfowl hunting per day.

All other hunting is 30 before sunrise/30 after sunset. So approximately 10 hours.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
There are right at about 130 WMA's in Arkansas. Everyone I believe allow small game hunting. Majority offer deer hunting at least archery hunting if not a gun season. I'm going to toss out maybe being kind that 50 out of those 130 have some type of water structure on it that will occasionally hold some ducks. Many are rain dependent for that to happen so out of the 60 day duck season one might get lucky and have 40 days of any water worth holding a few ducks. Toss out another kind number and say about 30 WMAs have some type of management for waterfowl.

Sometimes those managed areas may close off a few roads here and there. However one can still access via foot if they chose to do so to hunt deer and small game. About 20-30 have boat restrictions during the waterfowl season (and again that's probably a kind number). Very very few are closed to small game hunting. Out of those 130 WMA's and the ones that do have some type of water structure there are probably 10 that don't allow waterfowl hunting at all.

The handful of WMA's that are managed for waterfowl still have hundreds to thousands of dry acres for small and big game hunting.

There are 10 NWR's in Arkansas. To my knowledge all allow small game hunting and most allow at least archery hunting for deer. 3 for sure are 100% closed to waterfowl hunting(Holla Bend, Wapanooca, and Big Lake) I'm not positive about others that are closed to waterfowl, I'm sure I missed one or two. Also one of those(Cache NWR) is closed the first two days of opening duck season.

Deer Archery is opened for 5 months and a few days in September. Squirrel opens in May. Rabbit and majority of other small game are open for 6 months solid.

Waterfowl is total of 60 days plus 2 days for the youth and vets. So 62 days. One solid month in January. About 9 days in November. 18 or so days in December.

There are even 2 days in December (Christmas Eve and Day) that are closed to waterfowl but opened for all else. Also the same during the first split break.

There is also early waterfowl season...teal. Canada Goose, and early portion all goose season. However no access is closed anywhere for other hunters. Nothing is managed for this. Then there is the snow goose conservation. Very little of that is done on public land but again all areas normally accessible are still accessible during the conservation hunt.

So small game and deer hunters are really complaining that less than half of the WMA in Arkansas have a few areas flooded or gates closed for waterfowl?

Oh let me add, 95% of these WMA's and 100% of the NWR's end waterfowl hunting at 12:00 pm. So less than 6 hours of waterfowl hunting per day.

All other hunting is 30 before sunrise/30 after sunset. So approximately 10 hours.
Thanks for clarifying up those numbers.My comments only really pertain to Hurricane as that’s where I live at.So here’s what has happened on this WMA.It became real popular and very crowded with duck gods several years ago.Prior to that all hunters,fisherman,and trappers could use the entire area even when it was flooded,all day every day.So try and imagine it being your main spot your entire life to be in the outdoors chasing whatever critter you wanted all day everyday with zero problems.You could go whack a limit of mallards every morning and go set traps or deer hunt or fish everyday til dark.Then because of overcrowding/duck goddery all of a sudden you can no longer use the refuge everyday like you had your entire life because of??????make your reason up,but end of day a buncha duck hunters.On this particular refuge when the creek was at full flood the ONLY acces was to boat in for everyone,but no boating after 1:00 PM.Yea the ridge strip along the rode driving was all that was left with the boating regs.This don’t sound like much of opportunity loss unless you you used the WMA for other opportunities than waterfowl.To add salt the wounds the whole thing was aimed to not disturb the waterfowl that quit using the refuge 15 years ago because of overcrowdin.So there has been nothing gained but lots of access limited or lost for other folks.In the case of this refuge the sacrifice has been lots larger than any gain for anyone who uses it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Thanks for clarifying up those numbers.My comments only really pertain to Hurricane as that’s where I live at.So here’s what has happened on this WMA.It became real popular and very crowded with duck gods several years ago.Prior to that all hunters,fisherman,and trappers could use the entire area even when it was flooded,all day every day.So try and imagine it being your main spot your entire life to be in the outdoors chasing whatever critter you wanted all day everyday with zero problems.You could go whack a limit of mallards every morning and go set traps or deer hunt or fish everyday til dark.Then because of overcrowding/duck goddery all of a sudden you can no longer use the refuge everyday like you had your entire life because of??????make your reason up,but end of day a buncha duck hunters.On this particular refuge when the creek was at full flood the ONLY acces was to boat in for everyone,but no boating after 1:00 PM.Yea the ridge strip along the rode driving was all that was left with the boating regs.This don’t sound like much of opportunity loss unless you you used the WMA for other opportunities than waterfowl.To add salt the wounds the whole thing was aimed to not disturb the waterfowl that quit using the refuge 15 years ago because of overcrowdin.So there has been nothing gained but lots of access limited or lost for other folks.In the case of this refuge the sacrifice has been lots larger than any gain for anyone who uses it.
Point understood. That is a bummer when access is limited to all else.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
It sucks for sure but to realize NOONE is gaining from it makes it worse.
If hurricane wasn’t shut down in the afternoon every square billed metrosexual duck hunter would be running their mud motor through what good roosting habitat there is.
It does suck for people like you who are all around outdoorsmen and not solely duck hunting.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If hurricane wasn’t shut down in the afternoon every square billed metrosexual duck hunter would be running their mud motor through what good roosting habitat there is.
It does suck for people like you who are all around outdoorsmen and not solely duck hunting.
At this point it wouldn’t matter,the ducks don’t stay here anymore.That even makes it worse.And honestly if it woulda helped matters with the limited access it coulda been a little less painful.

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
2,094 Posts
Dad-gummed Square-Billed Metros’

·
Registered
Elite V37, muzzy broadheads
5,447 Posts
Amen and Amen!!

Reactions: Edgar M Hood

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sunday night when I came in from church there were 15 trucks/boats lined up for Monday morning to hunt a spot in Cache where there was not enough water to float a boat. The lining up in state highways is ridiculous on top of dangerous. Ducks get no break on public land due to length of season. People may not be able to hunt after noon, but they certainly prowl in their boats, trucks, atv's, and in waders all afternoon.

·
Registered
The Sword of the Spirit
2,094 Posts
Sunday night when I came in from church there were 15 trucks/boats lined up for Monday morning to hunt a spot in Cache where there was not enough water to float a boat. The lining up in state highways is ridiculous on top of dangerous. Ducks get no break on public land due to length of season. People may not be able to hunt after noon, but they certainly prowl in their boats, trucks, atv's, and in waders all afternoon.
There is no way 27 years of consecutive liberal seasons are justified but it’s not about the Ducks or our progeny. It is about the swiping of the credit cards and the peeping of the cash registers. This is why I tune the AGFC, DU and Delta Waterfowl out.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts