Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone be interested in having a duck call show, for lack of a better term, to see people's calls new and old. People could swap and sell calls. Buy calls from call makers. We might have a duck calling contest if we could get it certified. We might even have a cut down contest for the loudest caller. What do you think? I am not aware of such an event in Arkansas that is for call making. I know there are several people in the State that collect calls as I do and, there many people that are making calls now in Arkansas. We could start small and go from there.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It was meant as an honest question to mean is that what people really think? I don't really agree but I didn't want to cause a bias in the response.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am quite aware of the festival in Stuttgart at Thanksgiving. There are a lot of call makers there but really not that many considering the number of call makers out there. Also, you really don't have collectors like me that would like to see, swap, sell, buy calls. It would also give call makers in Arkansas a chance to show their calls. The times I have been to the Stuttgart festival, not many of the Arkansas call makers were there. The bigger name ones were but not many of the smaller ones. I spend a lot of time running down call makers in Arkansas both new and old to get their call. I do understand your point but think this would be a different kind of event. What do you think.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cutdown loud calling contest was in reference to a thread that was titled loudest. I would have it open to any one or any type of call. We would sure have to put some rules into place to judge the loudest. I guess we could us a sound meter. I would think it would have to be an actual duck sound and not just a loud sound. What do you think?

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
It was meant as an honest question to mean is that what people really think?
I think a lot of people do. I've got one I've been working with and everybody keeps telling me harder....louder and I thinking "Dang, any harder and louder I'll have crap coming out my ears"

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I read that with a hint of sarcasm to it....

I'd probably go to something like this.
I would too........ and I hate crowds, festivals, classics, etc.

I've got several calls that need tuning and would like to try several calls on the market.... if I could do that on one trip it'd be worth the effort.....

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
I would too........ and I hate crowds, festivals, classics, etc.

I've got several calls that need tuning and would like to try several calls on the market.... if I could do that on one trip it'd be worth the effort.....
Do they tune people as well??

:sarcasm:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
They probably don't but when I find out or actually being I've been told....when I can remember for sure I can give a date and location where that can be worked on.

·
Super Member<br>2014-2015 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
1,715 Posts
I'd go in a second!... Wonder if there are any call makers that replicate the looks of the old Arkansas style calls? I collect, but don't have anything old and would love to start getting my hands on some old calls.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would go if it was closer to north Arkansas. Stuttgart is a long haul for us folks in the north. Rather than a main street Stuttgart calling contest, I would like to see a live meat contest.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I think its a great idea.....but for locational purposes and marketing....you would need to centralize it....people from NWA, NEA, SA, SWA, and so forth prolly would drive to Stuttgart or at least the masses wouldn't....Somewhere in the little rock area would hold the little rock crowd.....and surrounding areas within an hour drive....hot springs, Conway, Sheridan, Stuttgart, searcy and so forth.....call makers would come from anywhere

·
Registered
676 Posts
The Stuttgart festival USED to have an event that was just for collectors and call makers.

I'd love to see one, and wouldn't mind seeing it grow to include old decoys, etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts