Dry fall....again.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by wooducksooie, Oct 4, 2017.

1. matt_jones105

matt_jones105 Well-Known Member

Yes the hawks are very thick around there.

JHS76 likes this.
  2. matt_jones105

matt_jones105 Well-Known Member

Yes the hawks are very thick around there.

3. Ange

Ange Well-Known Member

Eagles also———-I’ve had a cripple get away from an Oxbow we were in and go into the main channel of the river. As soon as he did, a Bald Eagle swooped down and got breakfast. When that happened, it was game over. We left.

JHS76 and mk1848 like this.
  4. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom Well-Known Member

Our ducks picked up and left this weekend as well. quite a few Friday, less Sat, even less Sunday and not a one on Monday other than a few wood ducks in the bayou.
    In normal conditions rising and falling water affects us the most. We have a bayou running dead center down the length of our place. Rising water, its on big time... falling water, ducks we are holding normally leave with it and it gets tough.
    That's not the problem at this point, you can cross the bayou with knee boots just about anywhere. You would think they would sit tight on the water we are holding.

5. Allenn

Allenn Well-Known Member

Well yea we are all hunting in Arkansas that’s why.

orangefeetdown likes this.
  6. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    You packed up and left because an eagle was around?

JHS76 likes this.
  7. Ange

Ange Well-Known Member

The ducks high tailed out of Dodge when the Eagle made the scene.

8. wooducksooie

wooducksooie Well-Known Member

NEA
    How's everyone's mallard numbers on their spot? Nothing but teal and wood ducks on us right now. Had some mallards last week. Starting to see more fields pumping this week. All the specklebellies look to be moving north.

Ange likes this.
  9. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

That .25 today really helped .

Ange likes this.
  10. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

Except for here

[​IMG]

As always, ducks wall to wall for opening morning. 4000 acres plus of flooded ground ready to go. All it takes is $$$$$.

JHS76 and Ange like this.
  11. dkredman

dkredman Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's anything to pay attention to, but I live just south of cabot and I haven't ever heard mallards flying over my house, but this morning while I was hunting I heard several big groups of mallards flying over really low. I have no idea what's holding water down here other than the lake at holland bottoms, but it seems like they are using something heavy this year

JHS76 likes this.
  12. arkrem870

arkrem870 Well-Known Member

I heard a lot of mallards Saturday morning at daylight from deer stand. Friend of mine went and scouted our farm this morning and the ducks were all just sitting..... nothing in the air. Sounds like quite a few have moved out in the last week. Still a few hanging around

13. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

My main duck hole went from holding 100 mallards and gadwall last week down to 20 now.

14. mk1848

mk1848 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We have water but seeing very few ducks. I’m not optimistic for Saturday at all.

15. B725

B725 Well-Known Member

Year after year I have scouted my spots, not looking for ducks but just water. You’ll maybe see 25 wood ducks but come opening morning they are thick. I guess all the private field ducks gets flushed and they just start looking

16. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

Most dismal day before season as far as ducks go that I have ever seen - at least in my duck woods

17. mk1848

mk1848 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Where I’m at I’m not seeing private field ducks.

18. Whistling wings

Whistling wings Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble just finding a wood duck shoot.Everything is dry or choked with duck salad.This season is going to suck.Usually limit out opening day going to be lucky to shoot a wood duck this year.

19. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

One weird thing, I had spec’s around my house for 4 weeks, Thousands and thousands of them all day and all night. And almost everyday they would be in the edges of my yard, and they really didn’t seem the least bit spooky.

Then Wednesday came, the first day of goose season, and the hunters came, and now two days later, they’re ALL gone. It was really weird, we had so many, for so long, and after a half of day hunting, it seemed to be over.

I used to think I knew something about waterfowl, but now, I don’t understand anything I see going on.....

mk1848 likes this.