Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Last time I heard it was at 20 yards and I stone cold missed that turkey! It broke something inside me when that happened. He came in blowing my hair back!
had a bird drumming probably not 20 yards behind me once. was scared to move till i heard him drumming going the other way. was still exciting to hear.

·
Premium Member
13,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
unlike JR1, I started turkey hunting in 1989 at the age of 38 and sadly, I have never heard a turkey drumming. I can hear spitting, but not drumming!
Sure wish you could, man. It is life changing. I'll keep calling them in for you to shoot though, don't worry about that.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Last year I had a jake come in and try to intimidate my decoys from 5pm until flyup. He just kept spitting drumming, and strutting non stop.

It was a cool opportunity to hear all the noises up close and personal.

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
Last year I had a jake come in and try to intimidate my decoys from 5pm until flyup. He just kept spitting drumming, and strutting non stop.

It was a cool opportunity to hear all the noises up close and personal.
Did you kill him on the ground or on the roost?

Drumming is magical. I’ve heard it only a dozen times or so. The first turkey my oldest son ever shot at was drumming the whole way up the mountain. We heard him drumming easily over 150 yds away. He heard it first and said a truck was coming. I immediately heard it after that and let him know what we were hearing. Everything went perfect until he pulled the trigger

The turkey my youngest son killed last year spit the whole way in but never drummed that I heard. I could hear him spitting 100 yds out

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Out west in the mountains, I’ve heard them drumming over a hundred yards away. Not sure if it’s the thin air or what. Most of the time if I hear a turkey drumming he is in range. Like most have said, I feel it more than I hear it.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Best sound in the woods in my opinion. Just nothing else like it at all! Get my pulse going everytime.

How far can you all usually hear it? In ideal conditions, I've heard the spit and drum from 100 yds, but under typical conditions it is usually 50 to 60 yds before I can pick it up.

I'll be heartbroken when I can't hear that sound anymore.
Um... posts like this don’t really help with our Anti recruitment campaign...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
In my first year turkey hunting. After a morning hunt another guy in the camp asked how the morning went for me. Told him that I found a bird gobbling that morning. Setup and did some calling to the bird. The bird was gobbling back and could tell he was closing the distance. Then the bird stopped gobbling, went quite. Paused a minute and ponder if I should ask about a strange sound I heard shortly after the bird stopped gobbling but did tell him I found gobbler tracks in my boot prints about 10-15 yards behind my setup. After a minute, he could tell I had not told the whole story and said well what is it, come on spit it out. Then I told him about the strange sound I heard but could also feel. It seemed like the strange sound was coming from behind me but didn't want to turn and see what was making that sound behind me. Just didn't want to spook or miss the turkey that I thought was about to walk out in front of me at at 25 yards. He just lowered his head, and while he slightly shock it back and forth let out light chuckle. I just stood there trying to figure out what was so funny to him. Then after his amusement seemed to be satisficed. He said, boy you called that bird in. The noise you heard was that gobbler spitting and drumming right behind you. Well, lesson learned, know you know what spitting and drumming sounds like.

Have only heard spitting and drumming about 2-3 other times hunting turkeys. Maybe if I'm lucky I will get to hear it again this spring.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
unlike JR1, I started turkey hunting in 1989 at the age of 38 and sadly, I have never heard a turkey drumming. I can hear spitting, but not drumming!
Can’t hear it either. Something about the frequency? I can hear every other sound a Turkey makes at least.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hadn't heard a turkey drumming in many years, I can hear the spit probly over 50-60 yrds maybe more, but no drum. Too many booms down through the years, and hamering inside tanks in my welding yrs.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts