Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best sound in the woods in my opinion. Just nothing else like it at all! Get my pulse going everytime.

How far can you all usually hear it? In ideal conditions, I've heard the spit and drum from 100 yds, but under typical conditions it is usually 50 to 60 yds before I can pick it up.

I'll be heartbroken when I can't hear that sound anymore.

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
I remember the first time I heard it, I had no idea what it was and then there he was, behind me.🤦‍♂️ Man I can’t tell you really how far out I can hear it,I’d say 100 yards. The last one I killed,hit the ground 10 yards from me,gobbled which about blew my hat off, and then went to drumming before I shot him at 5 yards. Drumming that close is unreal.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If I can hear them drum, they're in range. I can hear them spit a little farther than the drum, but guessing I can't hear either over 60 yards.

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
I hunted for years and never heard it, even killed turkeys and the person beside me say he drummed forever did you hear it? I never did. But I think it was 4 springs ago I got on a bird that had the loudest, deepest, gobble I've ever heard! It was insane, it just thundered and was amazingly loud. It started drumming at about 40 yards and I thought a damn apache was fixing to land, my ears hurt and could feel it in my soul. Never killed that Turkey, he gave me the slip and the next morning I bumped him and I never seen or heard him again all season. But since then I've been able to hear drumming, I listened to one drum for about 4 hours one morning last year, and followed him 1/2 a mile through pines you couldn't see more than 60 yards in. I'd try to get around him and he'd give me the slip and go by drumming just out of sight. Finally got in the correct path and he got insight while I was looking for a place to sit down and he spotted me and high tailed it.

Just one day I hope to experience drumming and gobbling again like that bird 4 years ago, it's made me more determined to kill them for that feeling.

·
Member<br>2016 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>
2,928 Posts
Not only can I hear it but I can feel it in my chest. Definitely one of the most exciting things to experience in the turkey woods. I don't know how many times I've had a bird gobbling in front of me and slowly working in then hear one drumming behind me or in another direction. I'm not sure how more people don't have heart attaches while turkey hunting!

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
I hunted for years and never heard it, even killed turkeys and the person beside me say he drummed forever did you hear it? I never did. But I think it was 4 springs ago I got on a bird that had the loudest, deepest, gobble I've ever heard! It was insane, it just thundered and was amazingly loud. It started drumming at about 40 yards and I thought a damn apache was fixing to land, my ears hurt and could feel it in my soul. Never killed that Turkey, he gave me the slip and the next morning I bumped him and I never seen or heard him again all season. But since then I've been able to hear drumming, I listened to one drum for about 4 hours one morning last year, and followed him 1/2 a mile through pines you couldn't see more than 60 yards in. I'd try to get around him and he'd give me the slip and go by drumming just out of sight. Finally got in the correct path and he got insight while I was looking for a place to sit down and he spotted me and high tailed it.

Just one day I hope to experience drumming and gobbling again like that bird 4 years ago, it's made me more determined to kill them for that feeling.
I Gotta get out of the Truck..

·
Premium Member
13,939 Posts
Not only can I hear it but I can feel it in my chest. Definitely one of the most exciting things to experience in the turkey woods. I don't know how many times I've had a bird gobbling in front of me and slowly working in then hear one drumming behind me or in another direction. I'm not sure how more people don't have heart attaches while turkey hunting!
With the constant ringing in my ears I can't hear one until it's really close but I too can feel it in my chest before I can hear it.. Feel the vibration and know it's time to take a deep breath and get in the zone.. Oh and I had 2 while turkey hunting (heart attacks that is)..

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have an old Moultrie camera that takes crappy videos but has good sound. I usually put it up on the edge of my roost spot every March and get a few turkey videos. It’s not audible on the regular computer speakers, but with a pair of earphones, you can hear the drumming like he’s strutting on my desk. I wonder if those hunters whose ears are not tuned to hear it in the wild would be able to hear them on those videos.

·
Premium Member
13,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the constant ringing in my ears I can't hear one until it's really close but I too can feel it in my chest before I can hear it.. Feel the vibration and know it's time to take a deep breath and get in the zone.. Oh and I had 2 while turkey hunting (heart attacks that is)..
Gonna need those stories in another thread! I really want to hear about those two days please and thank you!! Glad you are still with us.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts