droping antlers

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BIG DOG, Dec 17, 2012.

1. BIG DOG

BIG DOG Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner

i saw a buck saturday that was missing his right side he was a questionable 3pt, on the left there was a brow tine but i don't know if it was an inch long or not

he was following a doe and spike was following him, seems like its a little early tostart shedding antlers to me

2. fanatichunter

fanatichunter Well-Known Member

I've got pics if several with no antlers.

3. BIG DOG

BIG DOG Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner

4. bottomlands

bottomlands Well-Known Member

A friend of mine got one yesterday, thout it was an ol doe, but was a buck with no horns, the bases was still bleeding

5. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

jonesboro
    Yep, better call off the rest of the gun hunts. Does are bred and bucks are losing their antlers.

6. tmeredith

jonesboro
    Here's some pics I got of 1 that's dropped his already. He's obviously sick or has been shot at some time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hunt4meat

hunt4meat Member<br>You Can't Change This Side

I saw 2 bucks on Saturday pm, a mature 8 and young forked horn, both had both sides. Actually they were still licking the does hind ends, but not REAL interested, just trying to get a little more, I guess.

8. tyhunter23

tyhunter23 Well-Known Member

Seems early for sure. have not seen any around here that has shed yet.

9. SLAYER

SLAYER Well-Known Member

Prairie county either seen 8 bucks Saturday evening all still had horns. No big ones but all had horns

10. dudeman

dudeman Well-Known Member

Most of my deer shed late January unless there ill

11. MojoMan

MojoMan Well-Known Member

Here In Central Ar. I saw a buck 2 weeks back at night off the road that only had one side...Now couldve been caused by several things, couldve been broke off or something?.. Just at quick glance I noticed it was gone, he was prolly a 2 year old 6 pt...Usually around here they dont lose them until later into January.

12. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

Same for our SW AR deer.

13. bottomlands

bottomlands Well-Known Member

R
    The one I was talkin about had a similar growth on his belly just alittle farther back. As you said I wonder if they've been shot before, or just sick, his was around pleasant plains

14. faithfularcher

faithfularcher Well-Known Member

Every year around christmas I get pictures of bucks that have already dropped their antlers , have just come to expect it in my neck of the woods.

15. tmeredith

jonesboro
    This one was from Randolph county.

16. crackshot82

crackshot82 Moderator Staff Member

Fouke
    On my lease in Howard Co they always are shed by the christmas hunt.

17. jtiner

jtiner Member

Bucks dropping horns in NWA as well. Co-worker took picutres of 5 bucks grouped together, 2 had no horns and scabbed over.

18. TooTall69

TooTall69 Well-Known Member

There are many factors that cause antler drop times but the 2 biggest is the maturity of the deer and the food so I'm not sure but we had a bad drought so that will probably make them loose earlier in some areas because of lack of food... but I'm wanting to head out this week myself just to see if there's a late monster holding them still who nos...???

19. Made

Made Well-Known Member

Bucks are still freshening up rubs here in jonesboro. Got tracks in the snow leading up to them

20. pdosh

pdosh Well-Known Member

We have several bucks that we see pretty regularly, one of them has lost half his rack too. I wondered if something happened to him and only one side had grown.