Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner
1,134 Posts
i hunted meriams in new mexico last year and it was very tough. none of us got a bird. we were archery hunting though and we were about a week early. they were henned up. i got a 40 yd shot the last day but didn't connect.

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
I didnt even know OK had Merriams until a year or so ago when I noticed it on their website. I dont think they have very many, and I believe they're only over in the tip of the panhandle.

Good luck! I found some Merriams feathers where a gobbler had become someones lunch while elk hunting this fall. It got me thinking about what the mountains would be like in the spring for sure. I bet the birds are hard to get on, but you'd have plenty of ground to chase em on.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
All the Merriams I have killed were in Co. But I would love to hunt them in the Dakatas or Wyoming. I saw video of some from Seven J in Wyoming and it looks like they have a lot of birds.

Boom

·
Registered
14,411 Posts
By the way, I'm planning on going after Rio's in Oklahoma, but anyone ever hunt Merriams there? Or am I better off going to Colorado or New Mexico?
Just read Outdoor Life... There was a turkey hunting article in there that mentions the Oklahoma Slam. I guess there is a decent population of Merriams in the panhandle.
A little sidebar in the article said there's an outfitter that specializes in the slam... You get 3 hunts in Oklahoma: 1 in SE OK for an Eastern, 1 in central OK for a Rio, and one in the panhandle for a Merriams. Here's the real clencher- you sleep in an RV while they drive you from hunt to hunt so you dont waste hunting days driving. That's something else aint it? I'm not really that "slam" crazy, but it's a neat idea either way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.