draining bayoumeto

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by bullr, Jan 6, 2008.

1. bullr

bullr Active Member

call your game and fish tell them to put all gates in -gov cypress will have no water by sat if they dont do not know who is in charge of the water over here but they should be transfered

2. jjarvis0007

jjarvis0007 Well-Known Member

They are taking the water out of Govt Cypress? Arent they doing emergency dewatering? They wont take it all out.

3. bullr

bullr Active Member

dewatering

if they comtinue it will have no water in gov you can walk to gov slough in ankle boots taday at the 1st cut

4. jjarvis0007

Right there at the red bridge? Thats BAD NEWS!

5. bullr

bullr Active Member

dewatering

no-past 2 curves on west side of ditch call monticello talk to Roger Milligan there was alot of water coming in. But not now, its falling fast!Something needs to be done!Our taxes pay thier salary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

At least it has water to lose, unlike some other WMA"S :smack: :smack: :smack:

7. drakemaster

drakemaster Well-Known Member

There not going to let to much water out. There is a chance of rain monday and tuesday. It will be ok

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  8. quax

quax Well-Known Member

he speaks the truth; it's not just cypress though - it will affect parts of lower as well. there is a least an 8" difference of water depth in the ditch between new years and yesterday.

if you don't believe it, go look for yourself - it's falling fast. places that were huntable on new years were almost dry. if you thought it was crowed then, wait until we loose more water in there - maybe people will set up 60yds away from me and not 100yds.

you better hope it rains - A LOT.

9. Dogs & Ducks

Dogs & Ducks Well-Known Member

They DON'T want you to kill ducks down there. Game & Fish motto: less water = less ducks = less people = less to manage!!! :eek:

10. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

and may we add = less work for them the rest of the year!!!!:mad:

We well know that don't we D&D??? If it were not for some on the stick locals which recieve nothing for the service, the boards would never get put in & pipes would never get shut in a certain WMA's to hold water, would they? It seems real funny to me how the personal who are in charge of both allways seem to get the boards in & pipes closed in all the rest area's and get them flooded up, but the open area's just don't seem to get the same treatment?

11. sunny b

sunny b Well-Known Member

We need water BAD on our public grounds, times is hard here. been having to drive to the Metro myself to find any timber:smack:

12. jjarvis0007

Anybody heard anything on the water situation? Did they put the gates back in time?

13. lowarkhog

lowarkhog Well-Known Member

This guy is killing ducks, though. :wink:

[​IMG]

14. dwmooney

dwmooney Well-Known Member

You can forget hunting cypress. I talked to the guy out of monticello and he said they were more worried about the lower compound (lower vallier) being over the desired flood pool and said they would continue draining until it was reached. Meaning less hunting ground, less ducks and more people in one area. Better watch your P's and Q's. GOOD LUCK!!

15. Hardwoods

Hardwoods Well-Known Member

Lowering Vallier does not necessarily translate into lowering Guvment; they each have their own levees and gates. Moon, are you SURE G&F are still draining Gov't. Cypress?

16. quax

quax Well-Known Member

have you taken a gander at the levee - it doesn't require a jump. heck i went over it/thru it without my long shaft motor hitting bottom around christmas. i haven't looked at the levee gate at LB but in years past they've left it wide open.

17. Hardwoods

Hardwoods Well-Known Member

Quax,
    No, I haven't been down that far south in over 27 years. I stay up north. Point is, they don't have to pull gates on Government, or Upper Vallier, or Bear Bayou, or T Island to drain LVallier. The levee's and gates are there to control each separately, when they want to. I do know that I'm going to have a hard time understanding why my favorite area to hunt is dry, if, due to neglect (for whatever reason) Game and Fish has allowed it to be so. If they're having a hard time keeping the levees intact, then fine boats for jumping them.

18. quax

quax Well-Known Member

you hit the nail in the head "when they want to."

people have been going over that levee for ever, and it used to be good comic relief in the past. i once saw a kid decide he wasn't going to get out while the driver jumped it - he was sitting on a middle bench. when the boat hit the levee, he did a face plant into the decoys - in front of about 15 people - you could have heard the laughing from Mlby.

if they're going to fine people for going over it, they need to make boating access better. when they first built that levee up higher a few years ago, getting over there was TOUGH! i asked the monticello office about it, they said go in the cut above and motor down - good luck with that one - one big log jam - needs to be cleaned out.

as far as the levee busted there, it's a low spot that washed out after the big rains 3yrs ago or so and was never repair. gets worse each year. im sure people dragging boats over didn't help, but ain't nothing compared to the power of water. eventually it will get down to where it doesn't drain (if they DID close the LB levy gate) with LV gate open, but you may not like what you see in there.

19. dwmooney

dwmooney Well-Known Member

People not Happy!!!

Just got back from the scatters and people are not going to be happy!! Water level has changed considerable in the Govt. area (very low). Why they just couldnt leave well enough alone for a few more weeks. Guess we will be just a few more to crowd the Five fork, Brushy area. Just wanted to give folks a update not that you may believe me or even care. Just hope your not as dissappointed as I was in the morning.. Good Luck and Safe Hunting....

20. farmerjon

farmerjon Well-Known Member

Cry me a river about the water so it will fill up Cutoff Creek

At least the metro has water. Cutoff creek hasn't had water all year and probably won't have enough by the end of the season. All I can say is you better kill them when you can. You can't depend on the game and fish for much of anything. They do not revolve around duck hunting and water in the metro.