"Doomsday Preppers" - "The Time of Reckoning" - muzzle noise sickness?

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by TheBattman, Nov 28, 2012.

1. TheBattman

TheBattman Select Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

Was watching last night's episode - "The Time of Reckoning" - These two guys were in one of those Texas Sendero-style box stand shooting at explosive targets. First guy shoots and all is well.

But the second guy fires his shorter-barrel weapon (appears to be a .223, but might have been .308 with a massive 100rd. magazine). The rifle had what the show called a muzzlebrake, but it looked more like a typical military type flash suppressor.

Anyway - when the second guy shot - the first guy (both were wearing full, high-end ear muffs) goes nuts, gets out of stand, staggered around, puked, and cried (literally) about not being able to hear.

Now, I know that the rifle was loud, especially in one of those solid-sided box stands. But they were both wearing those muffs...

The show made a big deal about guns being over 140dB... But goodness - while I have no doubt that very real hearing damage can come from not protecting your ears when shooting... I don't get what played out on screen.

2. hillbillychaffeehunter

hillbillychaffeehunter Super Member<br>2009 Photo Contest Winner<br>2012-

I saw that show also, The guy was just being a sissie for the tv.

3. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    Well, most of the people on that show are complete idiots anyway. I sometimes watch that show just laugh at how goofy those people are.

4. gutpile

gutpile Well-Known Member

i seen that too....and laughed:fit: no way that hurt him that bad. although the other cat was an obvious idiot.

5. Ekspurt

Ekspurt Well-Known Member

Was he wearing glasses or eye protection? If so, the arms of the glasses may have prevented the muffs from getting a good seal around the ears. Trust me, under the conditions you described, that could definitely be painful.

6. bloody acorns

bloody acorns Well-Known Member

" The crow is in his nest waiting for his chickens."

7. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    Does he have his maceball bat?

8. tony r

tony r Well-Known Member

also the reason it was so bad he had muzzle about a foot inside box blind when he shot & other guy was sitting forward of of shooter up by muzzle.

9. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    Ya can't fix stupid!!

10. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

Ouch! I shot a 7mm08 ONCE that had a muzzle break installed without my ear plugs in. I didn't cry, but my ears rang for weeks.

11. 45-70hunter

45-70hunter Well-Known Member

Must have been a wuss, I've fired a 30-378 wby. mag with a muzzle brake in a closed blind with nothing but cheap foam ear plugs. Did it feel good? He!! no, but it wasn't something to cry about.

12. That's what I'm talking about right there......... are you really rifle hunting if your ears don't bleed a little after the shot?

13. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

The cheap foam ones are more effective than almost all the others.

14. 45-70hunter

45-70hunter Well-Known Member

Maybe I didn't get em in good enough, all I know is I was deaf the rest of the evening, but my afternoon wasn't as bad as the deer's.

15. johnf

johnf Well-Known Member

I collapse them down by rolling them between my fingers and sliding them down my ear canal. Can barely hear my wife yelling. My loudest gun doesn't bother me at all when I do that.