Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
My father wormed his fox hounds with either cattle or horse dewormer, cant remember but, he used it one time and it had stuff in it to kill BOTS and it killed his dog, might want to find something that doesn't have stuff in it for BOTS.

· Hall Monitor
10,245 Posts
That is not the formulation intended for dogs. Do you know how to calculate the proper dosage using that? Ivermectin toxicity is not something you want to risk.

Are you looking for heartworm prevention? Or looking to deworm for roundworms, hookworms?

· Registered
861 Posts
This is just what I have done and I would recommend a vet.
I have used ivermectin (not the plus) for heartworms. I have always done 1/10 of a cc per 10 lbs intramuscular. Make sure you don’t hit a vein.
For intestinal parasites , I’ve done equimax. It’s always put a 1/4 thick dime size piece on a plate and then cut that in half. Rub it on the roof of their mouth and my dogs have never had an issue with parasites.
I can also say, this is when I had 10+ dogs. If you only have 1-2 I would go to a vet.

· Grand Member
17,411 Posts
Some dogs with collie in their bloodlines can have bad reactions to ivermectin. Usually not a problem with heartworm meds made for dogs as they are really low dose, but when using cattle or horse wormer it's easy to overdose and it can show up with collies breeds. I've used it with hounds and catahoulas and never had a problem.

· Registered
Dog
697 Posts
Does anyone use this for there dogs if so, how much? Got a 6 month old English pup that needs wormed weighs around 30 lbs View attachment 385349
We use it on are hunting dogs. There is no way to really know how much to give per dog. We just give smaller dogs a spot the size of a nickel on a cracker other bigger dogs get a dab more. Don't know if it's safe or if it's the right amount but been giving it to my dogs for years now and have had no problem with it or with worms.

· "Doe Daddy"
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
8,210 Posts
Some dogs with collie in their bloodlines can have bad reactions to ivermectin. Usually not a problem with heartworm meds made for dogs as they are really low dose, but when using cattle or horse wormer it's easy to overdose and it can show up with collies breeds. I've used it with hounds and catahoulas and never had a problem.
I was always told white feet don’t treat concerning ivermectin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts