Dog sprayed by skunk?

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by gracie82, Jan 1, 2011.

1. gracie82

gracie82 Well-Known Member

NWA
    Lets here your best remedies to get rid of the smell? My Golden Retreiver got soaked tonight all over her chest. Need some advice! Quickly!

2. Vetrock

Vetrock Well-Known Member

There is a shampoo "recipe" you can find online that works pretty well. I don't know that I remember the specifics but I think it is 1 pint peroxide, 1 box baking soda, and a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid.

We sell a shampoo at the clinic called "Skunk Off" that works well too.

3. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

I have heard tomato juice but I have always just gave them a good bath with dishwashing soap .

4. jwalker

jwalker Well-Known Member

Let it wear it off so it'll learn

5. speedygman

speedygman Well-Known Member

I went to Sam's Club and bought the "industrial" size can of tomato sauce for my dog. That and bath seemed to work pretty well but didn't take care of it all.

6. LGustin

LGustin Well-Known Member

Our vet told us to use Head and Sholders shampoo. It works to a degree but not 100% skunk free.

7. woodsnwater

woodsnwater Well-Known Member

Tomato juice.. That's all I used, but may be a better way.

8. tomato juice doe's not work that is a myth it was proven on myth buster's, peroxide, baking soda, and dish washing soap, did work as well as any thig that can be found.

9. Tomato sauce and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Lather him up and then rub in baking soda all over. Lock him in the shower for about 20 minutes and then rinse well. Won't be completely sweet smelling but it will be tolerable. Our dog has been sprayed numerous times.