Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal or illegal to use a dog to aid retrieval of big game, bear, deer etc.?

Let say you hunt deer in a zone where running dogs is not allowed, can a dog be used to track a wounded deer?

Not allowed to run bear with dogs, but what about retrieving a hit bear?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Is it legal or illegal to use a dog to aid retrieval of big game, bear, deer etc.?

Let say you hunt deer in a zone where running dogs is not allowed, can a dog be used to track a wounded deer?

Not allowed to run bear with dogs, but what about retrieving a hit bear?
I think you need to notify the local WO and keep dog on a leash.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
All you've got to do is call the AG&FC hot line. There is always someone there to answer the phone (501-470-0744). They will notify the appropriate W/O for you. The information above is correct. The dog must be on a leash and you are required to notify the AG&FC and tell them where you will be tracking. They will usually ask for whom you are tracking. Bear in mind that there are some areas that will not allow tracking with a dog at all. Holla Bend is one of the areas that won't allow tracking with a dog.

I track with this little guy. He's a wirehaired dachshund. He's still a bit young and still learning the ropes.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I THINK TRACKING DOGS ARE GREAT AND SHOULD BE USED..........:up:...less game lost for sure......I use my Yellow Lab in an orange vest and bells on the collar to do it..........:clap:

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
All you've got to do is call the AG&FC hot line. There is always someone there to answer the phone (501-470-0744).
Thanks for pointing that out! I havent called them in the past, but I always keep my dog on a leash.
Here's Chloe with a buck she found in 06.
I only took her out once last year for a buck my neighbor couldnt find. She didnt take interest in the trail at first. It was about 18 hrs old. Finally, she tugged me along, and led us straight to a gutpile about 200-300 yds from the last blood. Who knows if it was the same deer or not. I really need to do a better job of taking her out on blood trails even when I dont need her help.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have been working on a trailing dog. Her name is maebelle. She is a year old beagle. I have been working her on nothing but blood. she doesn't bark at all. I have to put a bell on her to keep up with her. I keep her on a 50ft check cord. she has tracked every blood line so far. I am getting ready to expand her by using old trails of blood. I had a deer processed and saved half a bucket of blood. I then soaked bunches of clean rags in the blood. I put them in zip lock backs with extra blood. I froze them and pull them out to thaw out and make drag lines for her using the blood and rags. Any one in the white hall, redfield, pine bluff area that gets some deer down I am willing to travel and put her on them. I hope to put her on as many deer as possible and not just ones that can't be found. Ones that are known would be good too. It will be interesting to see what how she does when I put her on the an actual deer/blood trail instead of my blood lines.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Nothing against the legal use of tracking dogs, but in zones where this isn't legal, I recommend taking only high percentage shots and relying on woodsman skills, as these should be learned, at least to some extent, prior to hunting for big game.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.