Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 mo. old chocolate lab has food allergies. Anytime he eats ANYTHING that's not from his $60 bag of Iam's made from fish, he breaks out in those horrible welps and loses some hair! Then we have to take him to the vet for two weeks of antiobiotics. Has anyone ever heard of this? His a good dog and much loved by our family. But this is too expensive! I'd really appreciate some help.:frown:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
My 15 mo. old chocolate lab has food allergies. Anytime he eats ANYTHING that's not from his $60 bag of Iam's made from fish, he breaks out in those horrible welps and loses some hair! Then we have to take him to the vet for two weeks of antiobiotics. Has anyone ever heard of this? His a good dog and much loved by our family. But this is too expensive! I'd really appreciate some help.:frown:
I can see using steroids (prednisone) for the skin condition, but what are the antibiotics for???:confused:

Antibiotics will treat bacterial infections ONLY.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Our yeller lab was allergic to grass :smack:

Prednisone and lamb and rice dog food was the only relief we could find, and in the summer time it didn't really do the job and we had to resort to shots at the vet ($)

I hope you can find a solution!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Our yeller lab was allergic to grass :smack:

Prednisone and lamb and rice dog food was the only relief we could find, and in the summer time it didn't really do the job and we had to resort to shots at the vet ($)

I hope you can find a solution!
I used to have a dog that was the same way. Bad thing about prednisone is, it destroys their kidneys.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hey, I am relatively new to the system here. But, I would tell you that food allergies are becoming really prelevant to dogs and even cats. The key thing to think about with your food problem is that the fish is being used as your main protein source. This is called an alternative protein source for your dog. Dogs are really showing high sensitivity to red meat proteins even lamb now. I would suggest that you look around at various pet stores for other forms of alternative protein diets. They have alot out on the market now: kangaroo, deer, turkey, various fish, etc. You may be able to find another diet that works. Sometimes the larger pet chain stores ( Pet Smart ) can actually seel these foods cheaper than a vet can buy them. Its called bulk buying. Plain and simple. Don't be too hard on your vet, he is actually trying to help your dog.
Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get him off the grains and brewer's yeast, typical ingredients in commercial dog food, and on a natural diet. Raw, stripped chicken backs are great if you can find them in a local store (I paid 39 cents a lb for them), otherwise whatever raw meaty bones you can get. He'll need some other foods too, but 60% raw meaty bones is the base of the diet. It works, had a dog with allergies on that until he died of old age.

A good book on the topic is "Give Your Dog A Bone" by Ian Billinghurst. It usually sells for $34, but saw it a few minutes ago for $10 on ebay. (the forum won't let me post a link to ebay yet, 15 post min rule).

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Try to put him on Real chicken and mix some rice in for a week , and try to getting some Enhance or Pro Plan and feed him a small bit of it and see what happens could be a ingredent from other foods . Also your feeding puppy blend right ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.