Dog can’t hold his pee

Discussion in 'Ask the Vet' started by mr4pt, Feb 19, 2020.

1. mr4pt

mr4pt Well-Known Member

SWA
    I have a 1/2 English bulldog who is 6 years old. We noticed pee on the carpet a few months ago and started putting him in a kennel at night to sleep. He starts whining around 3 am every morning to be let out and go pee.

Is there a medicine I can give him to help this situation? My wife wants him gone but he is my favorite dog I’ve ever had

2. ArkGirl

ArkGirl Moderator Staff Member

Does he have free access to the outdoors to pee during the day? Does he get a good walk/chance to pee before bed?

Is he drinking more water than he used to? Have you had a senior blood panel (CBC/serum chemistries) done since this started? Any urinalysis done?
    With the relatively short average life expectancy of the English bulldog...he is a senior. If you havent... it is time for a senior physical. That for me is a physical exam, senior blood panel and urinalysis. He may well be dealing with early kidney disease, or urinary issues that he simply can't hold it as long as he could before. Or metabolic/systemic issue that has him drinking more which of course means he needs to go more often. And he is at least trying to tell you he needs to go. He's trying. And as a senior dog now is when he needs ya!

Just saw this is in tha ask the vet area. Most of you know I was a vet tech for many years before I moved to research...but I'm not a vet.

docspray, mr4pt and R6mm like this.

3. mr4pt

mr4pt Well-Known Member

SWA
    He is in and out most days when it’s cold, outside more than inside when it’s warmer

We let him out 30 minutes before bedtime each night. Not drinking any more or less water than usual

4. Saltydog

Saltydog Well-Known Member

Ash Flat
    Have him checked for diabetes.... if he is your favorite, I bet he gets more than his share of treats.

5. Kodiac

Kodiac Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Are his hips healthy?

6. Hivernan

Hivernan Well-Known Member

So is normal 8 beers? Maybe cut him back to a sixer.

7. ArkGirl

Take him in for senior bloodwork and urinalysis. Go from there.

R6mm and docspray like this.
  8. Onetrakd

Onetrakd Well-Known Member

Nwa
    Without being too rude I’m gonna have to side with Mrs. 4pt. After all even the female mod of the site says he’s already living on borrowed time.

9. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

jonesboro
    Maybe he saw a squatch peaking in the windows in the middle of the night.

10. Mule man

Mule man Well-Known Member

We had an inside Boston terrier that started that around 9-10. The vet took a bladder stone out of him as big as my thumb. He only weighed 12 or 13 pounds.

11. 4hunting

4hunting Well-Known Member

Just saw this tread,take Arkgirl's advice. One of the first signs you will notice in dogs, particularly older dogs that something is not right is trouble holding pee where they had not before and the increase in water intake.

12. shady2

shady2 Account Suspended

Time for a new dog

13. ArkGirl

Dogs are a man's best friend...just maybe not Shady's best friend

R6mm likes this.
  14. shady2

shady2 Account Suspended

Love hate relationship

15. bogob

bogob Well-Known Member

Arkgirl ""Dogs are a man's best friend..."

Amen to that.

A dog will love you unconditionally.
    Not to many people will.

R6mm likes this.
  16. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I let my dog out when I’m ready for bed. Not even 2 minutes...we stay outside until the job is done then straight to bed! Then straight outside in the morning, before anything else!

17. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

Conway
    John, you can prove their love, and also find out who loves you more. Just put your dog and your wife in the trunk. Drive around in the hot sun for about 3 hours. Stop, and open trunk. See which one loves you instantly, and which one wants to kill you.

docspray, bogob and John Stiles like this.
  18. docspray

docspray Well-Known Member

Time for a vet. He could have a number of things from simple to complicated. There are good medications that can help with his problem. Been there done that. Watch the dog for any trouble walking or seizure type activity.

19. Johnjpa808

Johnjpa808 Well-Known Member

My dog used to do this and after being tested he had crystals in his urinary track and had diabetes. After special urinary care food and shots we had to put him down. We bought him a few years though.

docspray likes this.