Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone hunt with a .444 ? if so i would like some info on it . ive never shot one but ive been looking at one at gander mountain . im looking at a H&R .444 . what kinda range can i get with a .444 ??? been thinking about buying a 30-30 or a .444 but i cant decide .

· Select Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>The Naked Retrei
12,171 Posts
Send Vales a message or he will probably chime in here tomorrow. He has one. Ill take my 30-30/meatstick/hog slayin Marlin!!! Just my opinion and as Mr. C said, I can buy ammo for my 30-30 Anywhere & CHEAP!:up:

· Super Moderator
9,953 Posts
I deer hunt with a 444 some. It's a brush gun just like the 30-30 and kicks like a dang mule. You'll get more energy out of the 444 and like they said the ammo is a little higher.

· Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I like to do a lot of target shooting with my deer rifles and the .444 would eat up the $$$ quickly. So personally I would prefer the 30/30. However, if I was going to get friendly with a big Ole bear I would probably reach for the .444. :head: Just flip a coin! :thumb:

· Registered
2,913 Posts
I deer hunt with a 444 some. It's a brush gun just like the 30-30 and kicks like a dang mule. You'll get more energy out of the 444 and like they said the ammo is a little higher.
I can't seem to notice much recoil on mine at all...of course i am tougher than Fro is :biggrin: and i am shooting the Remington 240gr. flat nose soft points. If you beef them rounds up to buffalo bore or grizzly with 300gr. bullets i am sure it will kick a bit more. I know the 240gr's have just over 3,000 lbs. of energy at the muzzle and believe it or not mine is a tack driver with that big ol' bullet. The ammo is quite expensive and not as easy to find as 30-30 so i recommend buying one of each :biggrin: however if you reload it may be cheaper. Bottom line...they are nasty on a whitetail and i love mine.

· Administrator
91,826 Posts
I can't seem to notice much recoil on mine at all...of course i am tougher than Fro is :biggrin: and i am shooting the Remington 240gr. flat nose soft points. If you beef them rounds up to buffalo bore or grizzly with 300gr. bullets i am sure it will kick a bit more. I know the 240gr's have just over 3,000 lbs. of energy at the muzzle and believe it or not mine is a tack driver with that big ol' bullet. The ammo is quite expensive and not as easy to find as 30-30 so i recommend buying one of each :biggrin: however if you reload it may be cheaper. Bottom line...they are nasty on a whitetail and i love mine.
That's the AH.net way to solve a problem. :thumb:

· Registered
392 Posts
i considered buying one, but already owned a 45-70 and 44 mag rifles. the 45-70 had alot more ammo choices when i was comparing the two so i stuck with what i had. i also considered a handi rifle chambered in 500 s&w until i seen the ammo prices and now that i reload it may be a future choice.

· Registered
2,887 Posts
I would look around to find a cheaper price on it. Gander always seems to want and arm and a leg for their guns. Hop over to Fort Thompson's you'll more than likely get better service and a cheaper price if they have what your looking for. If they don't they will be more than happy to get it for you. Plus they match other people's prices if by some chance they are lower.

· Registered
431 Posts
Forget the 30/30 and the 444 and get yourself a 30-06. The '06 will far outperform either, but ammo is closer in price to the 30/30. Or reload the '06 for .60 cents a round and you'll have better performance at 300 yards than a factory 7 Mag.

· Registered
2,198 Posts
My Dad ML hunts in LA with his 444, and appears to love it. He is good out to 200 yards with the Hornady ammo. He has shot 2 or 3 deer with it with no problems tracking them. I got the same rifle in 44 mag this year with the intentions of get it worked to shoot the 444. I have talked to a couple of guys that shoot competively, and they said the 444 is more accurate this way. At the moment though, I have decided to keep it shooting the 44 mags due to I would only gain about 50 yards in shooting distance, and lower recoil will make it easy for my wife to shoot.

· Registered
6 Posts
Here is some really good info that i have found and enjoyed. if there is any question about why to use 444 just read the "entire" post and keep up with the updates.
You can find a 30-30 anywhere and i dropped a good 8tp with one this year i just bought. but the 444 has a whole different function in hunting. I look forward to the up-cumming hunts with the only 444 i found at a gun show in 2 years.....and the price was good to... plenty of 45-70 single shots around or a high priced lever. but a good 444 lever will take the ticket always.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/4...lin-bullet-test-heavyweight-championship.html

enjoy

· Registered
567 Posts
I have one and love it...I wish Ark. would do like Ms. and La.. And make it Legal to hunt with one during the primitive weapon season(Muzzeloader season)I hunt with a savage smokeless muzzeloader in Ark now and i asure u it is no diff.

· Registered
620 Posts
I deer hunt with the .444.
I think the .444 is the deer slammingest caliber out there...second to none.

Want your deer to be DRT? (dead right there for you newbs). Forget the whimpy .30-30, a rifle that is used commonly by women and children. Get a caliber that you can use where you dont have to track deer after you shoot them.

Some of the most spectacular kills I have witnessed came from the .444. I'm talking about kills that would have you dreaming nightmares at night. Kills that make you thank God that you aren't a deer. Kills with 4 foot puddles of blood and pink lung tissue hanging off of trees that made it look like someone had decorated them for Christmas. Kills where deer didnt just collapse and fall to the ground, they literally jumped straight up and body slammed themselves. Kills that are visual scenes permanatley imbedded in ones brain until the day they die.

The .444 is a mighty caliber. It does kick like a mule, but when Mongo buck with his rocking chair rack that will be the talk of the town for the next 2 decades walks up on you, you will have no doubt that he will die right there on the spot. You wont feel the kick but you will be mezmerized by the scene that will play over and over in your head every time you go deer hunting.

Yep. If had a chance at one, I'd buy it and leave whimpy calibers to lesser men that might get a blister on their finger if they pull the trigger more than twice.

Get it and be forever happy.

And dont let Froman fool ya. That was MY .444 he was hunting with.:smack:

· Registered
1,261 Posts
I deer hunt with the .444.
I think the .444 is the deer slammingest caliber out there...second to none.

Want your deer to be DRT? (dead right there for you newbs). Forget the whimpy .30-30, a rifle that is used commonly by women and children. Get a caliber that you can use where you dont have to track deer after you shoot them.

Some of the most spectacular kills I have witnessed came from the .444. I'm talking about kills that would have you dreaming nightmares at night. Kills that make you thank God that you aren't a deer. Kills with 4 foot puddles of blood and pink lung tissue hanging off of trees that made it look like someone had decorated them for Christmas. Kills where deer didnt just collapse and fall to the ground, they literally jumped straight up and body slammed themselves. Kills that are visual scenes permanatley imbedded in ones brain until the day they die.

The .444 is a mighty caliber. It does kick like a mule, but when Mongo buck with his rocking chair rack that will be the talk of the town for the next 2 decades walks up on you, you will have no doubt that he will die right there on the spot. You wont feel the kick but you will be mezmerized by the scene that will play over and over in your head every time you go deer hunting.
Yep. If had a chance at one, I'd buy it and leave whimpy calibers to lesser men that might get a blister on their finger if they pull the trigger more than twice.

Get it and be forever happy.

And dont let Froman fool ya. That was MY .444 he was hunting with.:smack:
now thats carnage!

· Registered
828 Posts
i have a H&R 444 and really like ..it shoots great with the hornady ammo-----target shooting only for now just to sight it in ---not to bad ,not any worse than shootin my 3.5 shotgun----u can get some pretty hot loads for this ...check them out

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.