Does anyone have any D55 IR Sample Pics

Discussion in 'Trail Cams and Photography' started by pruitt76, Dec 14, 2010.

1. pruitt76

pruitt76 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see some night and day pics from the Moultrie D55ir if anyone has any posted. How's the battery life on this camera?

2. AR_deerslayer

AR_deerslayer Well-Known Member

all my vids are .hold on Ill post more

3. AR_deerslayer

AR_deerslayer Well-Known Member

D55 IR are awsesome cams .esp for the money!!

heres jus a few pics off my last card . . I am currently running a d55Ir, a stealthcam WILDVIEW EXTREME 5.0 , and a d40 all are good cams , but D55 is great![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. pruitt76

Thanks. Those look good to me. I have a couple Bushnell Trophy Cams but they are $200 and I'm not sure they are worth the extra money.

5. Whitecliff

Whitecliff Well-Known Member

battery life

6. SR4

SR4 Super Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Wi

I have two and I really like them. Battery life is good. Daytime pics are good. Night pics are ok. Easy to operate. I'd like to have a couple more.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  7. SR4

Here are a couple examples

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  8. btech29

btech29 Platnium Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>Stud Duck

Hey guys Im just curious. Why do you prefer the IR?

9. SR4

I had some deer spooking when my camera would go off. I assumed it was the flash so I switched to the IR. Not 100% sure if it was the flash or the camera. I havent had any pics of spooked deer since I switched, but alot of guys never have any trouble with flash cameras. Not sure one is better than the other.

10. btech29

Ive never used one. The only thing I like better about the flash is the night time pictures are better to look at. A buddy had IR, when it took pics you could see the little lights. Do the new ones not do that?

11. pruitt76

I use mine as feeder cams. These SW AR deer seem to get a little spooky if you leave the flash cams on the feeders for long periods of time. Of course it could all be in my head too. :up:

12. SR4

Yea you can see the lights. They light up red for about as long as a flash does. Its 6 to one half dozen to the other I think. Just something they can charge more money for.

13. Kris24

Kris24 Well-Known Member

I buy IR because I want my camera to be able to be placed where my stand is if I so desire. I would never place a flash camera any where near where I was planning to actually hunt. I dont care what anybody says. In my opinion a bright flash will spook or at least alert a deer.

With IR I feel comfortable placing the camera right where I plan to hunt.

To answer your question about the lights, yes they do light up but they do not flash like a regular flash camera would. They light up and stay on for a few moments and then back off. You will get some blurry pics using IR if the deer moves before the camera can gather enough light. However, you will be getting plenty of pics of all the deer in the area because there is no flash to disturb them.

For me it boils down to this. If I plan to use my camera where I will be hunting then I will use IR. If I am just wanting to get some pics of what might be out there (not near where I will hunt) then flash cameras take better pics like you mentioned. I am mainly concerned with not spooking deer, so IR is the choice for me.

14. I have both IR and regular. I have never really had a problem with either one of them. Although I do have one buck that will not go near the one that has a regular flash. It spooked him once and he will not go back. When he sees it he stays far away.

15. btech29

Ive been considering the Reconyx. It is IR, but its invisable. No little lights that can be seen. Only problem is those sucker are like $600.

16. SR4

For $600 you can get 6 moultries and cover 6x the ground.:thumb:

17. btech29

Exactly! I bought 7 D55's this year. I would just like to have one super fast camera for those trails out in the middle of nowhere. A guy might be surprised what he might get a pic of. :up:

18. I've got a couple of D50's. They seem to be about like the D40's I lost in the flood last year. I like them pretty well. Pitcture quality is not great and they go into sleep mode which makes for great battery life but is poor for trail applications.

btech you should try a Covert or Scoutguard, about $195 and quick trigger/good pictures. That's what I'm going to replace my Bushnell's with.

19. thethrill

thethrill Well-Known Member

I just got a D55ir for Christmas, this thread was helpful. I will post some pics when I get some back. I will be putting it up maybe tonight before bed.

20. Whitetail Chaser

Whitetail Chaser Well-Known Member

FYI I have learned that if you put a flash camera up high the flash will not spook deer. They don't even look up at camera. I put mine up as high as I can reach. about 7 or 8 feet high. Now when I had it chest level of a deer they would look at it when it flashed. Some got spooked. Hope this helps. Also the IR's I have click when the shudder goes off. This seems to spook deer also.