Does anyone do a tiny tach test?

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by factory909, Dec 14, 2010.

1. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

I recently bought a tiny tach off of ebay, and tried checking the wires out like jla suggested, then took it to a buddy, it won't work. I was wondering if any shops out there will hook your outboard up to a tiny tach or any tach and get the rpms with the mph so that a proper prop selection can be made? If anyone here wants to make some money by doing this, let me know, or if you know of a shop that does. thanks

2. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

I can help you with that. But you'll have to wait till it gets alittle warmer.

3. jla

jla Well-Known Member

Is this the one that the wire was clipped or damaged or something???? It may be trashed from the damage. Not real sure about what your requesting?? "get the rpms with the mph"?? If your wanting to see it hooked up to a motor that has a working tinytach to compare to, come to Altheimer, would take about 2 minutes IF the thing has the proper lead on it, no charge. If your planning on paying a regular shop, or any one else for that mater, for the previlage of hooking yours up ................... I would just spend that money on a new tach, you could buy two for the flat rate minimum 1 hour charge at a regular shop. Chalk the EvilBay ripoff up to a lesson learned. Again, your welcome to come here if you want to hook it up and try to check its function.

4. factory909

well i guess i was asking are there any outboard shops that will hook their tach up, check the WOT rpm range, and also get a mph reading at that, and then suggest a prop based on that...

5. jla

jla Well-Known Member

I'm sure there is but thats something that could be figured out with a working tach. RPMs will relate to prop pitch, if your not spinning near the top of the operating range lightly loaded your possibly lugging the thing with a hunting load. MPH does impact your prop choice in as much as one ear design may hook up better than another with your rig. But as far as health of the motor, RPMs (read prop pitch) is the only concern.

I still believe you could buy a new tach AND a minimum feature GPS for what a regular shop is going to charge for what you describe. I bet they would put down no less than 3 hours unless they were sitting right on the lake bank. Even someone like Scales in Sugar that has a decent ditch to run in doesn't have enough room to play with it to see what its going to do.

I also don't trust anyone selling something to recomend to me anything other than what they sell, accessory wise, props, oils, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

6. factory909

ok gotcha jla, for some odd reason i was thinking rpms would be purportional to speed in mph for a given pitch of a prop....yea im going to order a new tach, or try to hook up with QC when it warms up...

7. jla

jla Well-Known Member

It probably would be a more accurate comparison to say RPMs are proportional and maybe predictable when comparing pitch in identical props. Changing pitch AND changing prop design at the same time makes predicting outcome difficult. MPH will reflect how well a given design will carry the boat.

8. factory909

ok...one last question, im reading about jack plates, what does a set back do? what would be the benefits of having 5" set back?

9. jla

jla Well-Known Member

gets the motor in cleaner water and being further away from the transom in "deeper" water, imagine the water getting back to level after its been displaced by the boat. The benifit is being able to run higher motor heights. I would recomend tilt and trim rather than just lift. Especially in a duck boat that has various loads, trimming to the best angle for the load is beneficial.

Many feel differently about the T&T plates like the PT35 or 130, I have had excelent service out of my 35 carrying a DT25c. It makes a significant performance difference on my boat. I have also hooked my hull to combat the porpoise.

10. factory909

yea pt&t would be great, its the only thing i miss from the nissan 30hp i traded off...i didnt know the price of those units were that expensive...

11. QCDually5.9

What did you end up trading the nissan for?

12. factory909

Yamaha 25ESH w/ powertech ss prop

13. QCDually5.9

Good choice :up:

14. factory909

yea i love it, i wish i would have went with the yamaha the first time around!

15. keeb

keeb Well-Known Member

I love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning.

16. factory909

yea its a different smell...i love it!

17. QCDually5.9

When you decide to get another tiny tach. Call the company and make the order. Be sure to mention that it's going on a yamaha and request that it have a strong filter. The yamaha's are bad about over powering the tach and sending it into a 'reset' mode. Done been there and done that. But the company explained the problem and quickly sent me what I needed. :up: