Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran upon the expert deer consultant YouTube channel back several years ago and ran through his videos. Obviously he has a few good ideas but one stood out to me that really didn’t jive with what I see in my area. Now obviously each area has different herd density and different food for the animals, so I’m not going to bash the guy because I can remember driving through Fordyce and a few of those other southern town around mid night and the yards were littered with does. The most I counted through a section just before you get to the state line was 234 does.

So that was back in the 80’s and early 90’s and don’t know if the herd is still like that but in my area we have a few does and frankly I manage for them to be completely comfortable on my land. I don’t have enough to go on a killing spree but I want does year round. And that’s what this guy was saying you don’t need to do.

So hear me out. First if I had a huge number of does I would go to killing more than I do. Second I want food year round and with that the does will come and during the pregnancy and birth I want them to have the best nutrition I can provide. I still get bachelor groups of bucks through the summer. This late season period is obviously rough on the deer, but until the weather drops in the 20’s the deer don’t what I call freak feed. I hunted yesterday and I counted 11 does that came in two different groups. They left and from that point I had 19 different bucks come in the plot.

I thought most would focus on feeding, but boy was I wrong. I had 5 different buck fights going on at once. I had everything from spikes to 2 yo eights to 3 year old olds with one eight around 5 yo and a nine in the 4 yo. What I noticed most was the 3 1/2 yo were the bullies. They went around to each other buck and spared must of the younger ones gave up quick. The fights pretty much stayed within their own age range.

The two mature bucks sparred briefly with a couple 3 1/2’s and then exited the plot. They didn’t appear to be interested. A few ate and then moved on out. It was probably one of my top hunts without killing a deer. Just to far out of range. But man what a sight to see this many bucks congregated and all looked healthy and a few fed but mostly they wanted to play.

Back to my point. Keep your does year round , kill what’s needed but mange your does and keep them happy and trust me your bucks will follow.

·
Premium Member
23,133 Posts
I agree with this. We have a lot of does and does two were killed on 3200 acres this year. One by a guest and one by a kid. We see lots of bucks during season because of the does in my opinion. It also makes hunting a lot more interesting when you’re seeing deer.

·
Premium Member
33,528 Posts
Thank you.... Enjoyed..
Taken one Doe...It was taken with a Bow..
Decided to Give them a Pass..
Put in food plots from one acre to 10 Acres..
We're covered in Deer . Saturday..The largest food plots are Deer sanctuaries...No Stands,No Hunting.... Period..Year around plots...

·
Premium Member
29,427 Posts
Ran upon the expert deer consultant YouTube channel back several years ago and ran through his videos. Obviously he has a few good ideas but one stood out to me that really didn’t jive with what I see in my area. Now obviously each area has different herd density and different food for the animals, so I’m not going to bash the guy because I can remember driving through Fordyce and a few of those other southern town around mid night and the yards were littered with does. The most I counted through a section just before you get to the state line was 234 does.

So that was back in the 80’s and early 90’s and don’t know if the herd is still like that but in my area we have a few does and frankly I manage for them to be completely comfortable on my land. I don’t have enough to go on a killing spree but I want does year round. And that’s what this guy was saying you don’t need to do.

So hear me out. First if I had a huge number of does I would go to killing more than I do. Second I want food year round and with that the does will come and during the pregnancy and birth I want them to have the best nutrition I can provide. I still get bachelor groups of bucks through the summer. This late season period is obviously rough on the deer, but until the weather drops in the 20’s the deer don’t what I call freak feed. I hunted yesterday and I counted 11 does that came in two different groups. They left and from that point I had 19 different bucks come in the plot.

I thought most would focus on feeding, but boy was I wrong. I had 5 different buck fights going on at once. I had everything from spikes to 2 yo eights to 3 year old olds with one eight around 5 yo and a nine in the 4 yo. What I noticed most was the 3 1/2 yo were the bullies. They went around to each other buck and spared must of the younger ones gave up quick. The fights pretty much stayed within their own age range.

The two mature bucks sparred briefly with a couple 3 1/2’s and then exited the plot. They didn’t appear to be interested. A few ate and then moved on out. It was probably one of my top hunts without killing a deer. Just to far out of range. But man what a sight to see this many bucks congregated and all looked healthy and a few fed but mostly they wanted to play.

Back to my point. Keep your does year round , kill what’s needed but mange your does and keep them happy and trust me your bucks will follow.
I agree 1000% with this. And I would add one other thing - if you are going to take a doe or two - I believe you need to be more cognizant of your fawns numbers than basing that decision strictly on how many does you see. You can affect your fawn numbers by providing good fawning cover and keeping your does healthy and your predators limited. If that doesnt work - like it doesnt at my place - you can hold more does to increase your fawn numbers. Twenty does averaging .5 fawns apiece produce as many fawns as ten does producing one fawn apiece. In my opinion, if you take care of your does, you will always have some bucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts