Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the best length to dock a 3 day old pup? Its been years since I raised any and I flat cant remember. I hate a long dock, but dont like them bobtailed either. Suggestions??

·
Registered
17,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know what they say, you can always take more off, but you can’t grow it back. Pretty sure that expression originated with docking dogs tails.
True, but it gets expensive when they are older. I know, Ive docked 2 or 3 adult dogs in my day. The vet has to put them under and it aint cheap.

·
Registered
15,611 Posts
I banded the tail on 3 year old hound/cur cross. It was nasty, worked but not for the faint at heart. That said I’ve cut the tails off a bunch of Aussies and cur pups both of which are different lengths and not sure how to explain it.

Maybe you can look it up on YouTube:D

·
Registered
17,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I banded the tail on 3 year old hound/cur cross. It was nasty, worked but not for the faint at heart. That said I’ve cut the tails off a bunch of Aussies and cur pups both of which are different lengths and not sure how to explain it.

Maybe you can look it up on YouTube:D
I knew an old timer that would lay the tails of grown dogs on a stump and chop them with a hatchet. Im not that hard though. lol

Ive googled and cant find anything about it. They are Cats so that is "frowned upon". I dont want dogs with tails. A hunting dog should be docked. Or at least the kind I use should.

·
Registered
17,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Electricians zip ties. The ones with the metal bands inside like you use for bear ears when you send them to the tanning house.
I considered that, but my daughter works at a vets office. Im just going to let them do it, especially since Im removing dew claws. I dont like doing that.

Reactions: Allenn

·
Registered
15,611 Posts
So are the dew claws to be left on breed standards for those too?

I always cut the dew claws off of the Mnt Cur puppies but it was supposed to be breed standards.

Pffft breed standards on mixed bred dog.

·
Registered
17,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are the dew claws to be left on breed standards for those too?

I always cut the dew claws off of the Mnt Cur puppies but it was supposed to be breed standards.

Pffft breed standards on mixed bred dog.
Ya, Im not a breeder, so I really dont care what they say. Im not breeding to sell them to anyone but someone that wants a dog that will hunt. Not a pet for someone living in an apartment in town.

·
Registered
17,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I finally goggled boxers, and they say every 1/4 inch will be an inch when they are adults. I want 3 inches, so I'm gonna dock to 3/4. Here's to hoping.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Sharp pocket knife and lay the tail across a 2x4 or something solid. Cut em shorter than you think it needs because as they grow it will be too long if your not careful. Nuttin to it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts