Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
I shot Muzzy Mx-3 and Slick Trick 100 mags today, both shot exactely like field tips at 20,30, and 40 yards. I even got some old Muzzys that do too. Only tried one mechanical, NAP spitfires, they shoot like field tips too.

Your buddys bow is probably out of tune. I personally "paper tune" and then "walk back tune". I have never had trouble getting the fixed blades to fly right when I set my bow up this way. Have him check that out unless he wants to shoot broadheads while practicing all the time.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i shoot nap spitfire 100 grain,he shoots muzzy mx4 i think,my old rocky mountain premeir 100 grain shoot about a inch to the right at 30 yards not to bad.those spitfires are dead on :clap:

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
The best way I have heard it explained was on archerytalk, so here it is-

Hang a weighted string from a nail on a target.

Stick a round sticker on the target face so that the string splits the sticker. Use your existing 20-yd pin, step back 20-yards from the target and fire at the sticker.

Don't worry about where the arrow hits.

Walk straight back to 30 yds, and using the same 20-yd pin setting,
fire an arrow at the sticker.

Repeat at 35 yds and at 40 yds, using the 20-yd pin and firing at the sticker.

If your arrows look like this pattern " / " or “\”,
then pick a direction and move your arrow rest 1/16th inch.

If the pattern gets straighter (more vertical), then that is great. Keep adjusting in that direction.

If the pattern gets more crooked, then adjust in the other direction.

Keep firing arrows and keep adjusting the arrow rest position until you get a vertical pattern of arrows.

Eventually, your arrows will hit in the target is a straight up and down line like this " | ".

LOCK down the arrow rest setting. Your centershot is perfect.

But, your vertical pattern of arrows may not be hitting the string.

The vertical pattern of arrows may be on one side of the string.
Let’s say the arrows are say 6-inches to the left of the weighted string.

Pick a direction to adjust your sight ring windage. Adjust the sight ring windage 1/16th of an inch. Repeat the test. Fire arrows at least 3 distances, and see if the vertical pattern of arrows gets closer to the string.

If the vertical pattern of arrows is getting closer to the string, then that is great. Keep adjusting in that direction. If the vertical pattern of arrows is getting farther away, then adjust in the other direction.

Eventually, you will have a vertical pattern of arrows right on top of the string.

Lock down the windage and lock down the arrow rest. Windage and center shot are now perfect.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=454036

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
If your buddy sets up his bow using these methods and he is still having problems with his broadheads, there is a broadhead tuning method also, it might help him somewhat, but I bet 99% of the time, these other methods will do the trick and that method will not be required. When I paper tune, I am very close, sometimes not having to change a thing.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember one time back in early 90s my brothers bow shot field points dead on ,we shot broadheads ,it was off by a foot,2 days before elk season in montana,he bought a new bow and killed a elk,always shoot your broadheads to see how they will hit.idont know why that bow did that,i will not name the brand.thank god for that archery shop in lincoln mt.

·
Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne
3,277 Posts
Mine never have.Ive tryed it all over the years.Had several different bows different arrows and tryed different broadheads with same results. 2" high 2" left.Got to be something in my from.Dont seem to hurt anything deer dont seem to notice.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've shot everything from Bear & Magnus (in a 2 balde configuration ),,then went to Snuffers,,& now Muzzy 100 gr. 3 blades & have never had a problem with them hitting any diff than my field points,,especially since I learned how to properly tune my bow(s)...Thinkin seriously about goin back to the Snuffers,,they sure leave a good blood trail & I enjoy ( & miss ) sharpening my own broadheads..

·
Registered
227 Posts
I picked up some Undertaker mechanicals and made one shot, it flew exactly like my fieldtips. I went to pull the arrow out of my block target and the broadhead pulled the insert out and is now stuck in the target, "that'll piss you off" I have not gotten up the nerve to shoot another one til I get some new arrows and I'll glue the inserts in myself.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.