Do you know or know of someone who poaches?

Discussion in 'General Hunting Topics' started by ozarkhunter, Jan 14, 2008.

Do you know or know of a poacher?

1. No

21.1%
  2. Yes 1-3 poachers

44.0%
  3. Yes 3-5 poachers

12.8%
  4. Yes 5-10 or more poachers

22.0%
  1. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Well-Known Member

Just wanted to see what kind of numbers I can get. Do you know a poacher?

2. possum

possum Moderator<br>2011-12 Deer Hunting Contest Winner<b

I went with 1-3 even though it's probably more....I couldn't prove it in the court of law they were. But the ones I did vote yes on, I know and the GW's know it. It's just a matter of actually catching them.

3. M1Tommy

M1Tommy Well-Known Member

Having just moved back to AR, I'd say no, not now. I had kin folk who did once and shot hawks for fun (or bragged about it anyways). I told them I'd report them or something to the effect of "will wrap your shotgun around a tree", if I saw them doing it. I think they stopped, or sure never mentioned it again around me.

Tommy

4. crosscohunter

crosscohunter Well-Known Member

I can't say I know any or suspect anyone of being a poacher. If I was asked this question 30 years ago I would have to say yes and I am ashamed to say I would have to include myself.

5. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

Depends on how you define 'poacher'. If it's killing a deer (legal or not) with no intention of tagging it of course would be.

Would you also include those that 'ground check' a small buck that looked like it had 3 on one side?

What if they check it online as a legal buck? Would they still be poaching then?

Would you consider 'helping a friend or relative fill their tags' (party hunting) to be poaching?

I believe all these offenses constitute poaching, at least as defined by law, and I know some folks that do this or at least have in the past.

What if they usually check them online and just forget?

I guess you could say I was a 'temporary poacher' this season. I shot a button buck 2 days after Christmas, but our check station was closed on the way back in so I was gonna check him online. When I got to the house my son was already asleep in the room with the computer and I just forgot about it until the week before last. I hate it that it slipped my mind, but I felt it was necessary to check it, even if the AGFC fines me for checking him in late. At least he's checked and my conscience is clear.

6. turkeyhunter

turkeyhunter Premium Member<br>2006 Turkey Team Contest Winner<

What's your name and number, I'm going to make some money today!!!:thumb:

7. turkeyhunter

Is there anyone on here that has never poached???

If you have in the past poached an animal and did not turn yourself in, you are a poacher.

8. taxidermydude

taxidermydude Well-Known Member

TH i hope you are not casting stones at a mirror? I have witnessed a few rabbits shot at night years ago when i was a kid. Dont know many kids who would turn themselves in.

9. jimmyh

jimmyh Well-Known Member

speakin for myself. not ever

10. JR

JR Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br

I voted 3-5. I have heard students bragging about it, but it would actually be one thing to prove it. I figure some just like to brag in front of their friends about it, but might or might not have actually done it.

11. It is funny how while online some become straight and narrow law abiding citizens.
    Not hammering on you TH just agreeing:wink:

12. CDay

CDay Well-Known Member

I guess first we need to define what the orginally poster of this poll believes poaching or poacher is. If it is defined as someone that makes it a habit of breaking game laws everytime you turn around then the number would very low. Or if the defination is that of the more serious game violations such as spot lighting, road hunting, wanton waste, hunting out of season and etc.

But if the defination is about anyone breaking any game regulation from time to time knowingly or unknowingly then the number is going to be alot higher. Under this defination pretty much 90% of the hunters fall under catergory and is probably higher especially if they have been hunting for a awhile.

13. BuzzBait

BuzzBait Well-Known Member

Yea I know a few...But u could be a poacher just by shooting a few min. before or after shooting times, that could throw a bunch of us in that poacher catagory...

14. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

Years ago I used to do a little duck hunting. Back then it was always pretty interesting to listen to where the first shots might come from. Usually it would be 5-10 minutes before actual shooting hours depending on weather conditions.
    I used to find it amusing that one the first volley of shots was fired it was like someone opened the gates for the rest of the duck hunting world.
    Most of the time we were never in ducks but one morning we happened to have ducks all over us just before shooting hours. We're watching quackers buzz by and all of a sudden one of the guys I was with said "Someone has to shoot first. Might as well be me." A few seconds later he's picking up a duck or two and gun shots are ringing out all over the bottoms.

15. Buba Garrett

Buba Garrett Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

I know a couple but like Possum some I hope get caught- with the BS we had on our lease this year I take pleasure in turning em in!

16. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

You got my name, but don't expect a payout - the AGFC has all the info they need to fine me if they choose to do so.

17. turkeyhunter

You are one of the very few.

18. turkeyhunter

A poacher is a poacher. These days I try to do everything by the book. It's just the right thing to do. I hate to see folks abusing the law, it hurts everyone in the game. Folks that say they have never are full of it. There are a lot of folks that kill deer out of shooting hours and never know it.

19. taxidermydude

taxidermydude Well-Known Member

I got to thinking last night, seems like alot of people break the laws if you want to get down to the fine details. For instance, who has ever shot a blackbird? Practically everyone at one time or another. Want to get technical about a blackbird? They are officially a SONGBIRD!

20. turkeyhunter

Who wants to cast the first stone???:wink: