Do we really live more dangerous times?

Discussion in 'News and Politics' started by steve72444, Dec 24, 2012.

1. steve72444

steve72444 Well-Known Member

It is true we here about shootings and robberies all the time. Do we though live in more dangerous times or is it the 24 hour national news cycle? If you believe statistics, then NO we do not live in more dangerous times. If you believe the hype then yes, we didn't do indeed live and more dangerous times. Up until the 1980's when shock journalism became all the rage, we never knew of the robbery murder in Kalamazoo or Seattle Washington. Those were considered local stories. Today's pseudo journalist just out for a headline and to milk a tragedy for all the ratings they can get, make us feel as if we are about to be a crime victim at every turn.

There are in the still neighborhoods were children play until? streetlights come on and still communities where people have unlocked doors. I know this is getting fewer and farther between but it is still out there.

2. Buckrub

Buckrub Well-Known Member

Conway
    "When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint".
    Hesiod, 8th century BC

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"
    Plato, 4th Century BC

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint... As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
    Attributed to Peter the Hermit, AD 1274

In the 1800s, hordes of teens and pre-teens ran wild in American city streets, dodging authorities, "gnawing away at the foundations of society", as a commentator put it. In 1850, New York City recorded more than 200 gang wars fought largely by adolescent boys.

"Juvenile delinquency has increased at an alarming rate and is eating at the heart of America"
    US juvenile court judge, 1946

3. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I believe we do live in more dangerous times. There are more people now than ever. More people means more competition for everything. Competition often brings out the dark side. Look at the waterfowl forum and see what duck hunters are doing to each other. I am not saying none of that happened 20 or 30 years ago - but it was rare. Now, it is common place. There are more people driving - road rage. I don't have a good word for the media - but I dont believe there were mass shootings 20 years ago. Now there are a couple every year. I hitch hiked all over the place in the 1970's - never had trouble getting a ride. Now, you don'tpick up hitch hikers because you are afraid they will kill you and take your car. People stampede each other in Walmart on Black Friday. I could go on and on - but, yes - these really are more dangerous times.

4. alexanderg23

alexanderg23 Well-Known Member

NWA
    I think we're doing alright. Bad things on the news just get more attention, no one cares to hear about some kids doing good.

5. steve72444

steve72444 Well-Known Member

Dog bites man is no news,man bites dog makes the headline.....

6. I don't know.....reading some of the stuff from the wild west days I will say we are safer.........