Do-it yourself re-loading

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by dash4cash, Dec 14, 2010.

1. dash4cash

dash4cash Well-Known Member

Ok guys, this has probably been asked in the past, but I will ask it anyway. Lets say I wanted to start loading my own shells, 243, 223, 300, and 375 caliber, for something to do during the cold winter months. how much is it going to cost me to get started, I mean what should I expect to pay for decent re-loading equipment, and are their many books on how to do it? Remember I know nothing about re-loading.

Thanks, Carl

P.S. Because I don't shoot a ton, would it be cost benificial for me to load my own.

2. lonwen99

lonwen99 Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

Buy the books first and read them . You will learn what you want to know . Speer , Nosler , Hornady , Sierra , Lyman are just a few of the reloading books .:thumb::flag:

3. Wes Ramsey

Wes Ramsey Well-Known Member

I've said it many times before - don't do it for cost savings because you don't shoot that much. You may be able to load 100 rounds for the cost of a couple of boxes of factory ammo, but you'll be shooting 3-4x as much and still have to buy the gear so it's really a wash. Ask anyone else that did it to save money :biggrin: It's a good hobby though, and teaches you more than you every thought there was to know about ballistics if you do some reading. A good place to start would be "The A B C's of Reloading". I don't know what volumes are out these days, but I've read volumes 6 and 7 and they're both worth reading. Inexpensive and easy to find online, but I actually picked it up at the library. All the reloading manuals have some good info in them, but they can be kinda pricey. If you have a particular brand of bullet in mind, I'd start with the manual from that manufacturer and go from there.

4. Sylamore

Sylamore Super Moderator Staff Member

Try it....you will like it! About $250 to $300 for a starter kit. Then about $30 to $40 for a set of dies for the caliber or each caliber you want to load. :thumb:

5. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

i did it for cost savings.. lmao, that was a joke...but its one hell of a hobby, in a good way! i 2nd the ABCs of Reloading..when i started i bought the lee anniversary kit for $100 @ midwayusa.com, the beam scales are a joke to me, so i bought a set of digitals at the tobacco store for $20., make sure it will do grains. i started out on .308, so i borrowed dies, but eventually bought my own, RCBS, $25 off of ebay. bullets were $23 a box for 100 count of 168gr A-Max's. i bought 100 count of remington .308 brass from midwayusa.com for $30 i think. primers were $6-$7 a pack of 100. i use VARGET as my powder, and its $21 a pound in town when they have it in stock.

back to equipment, some other things i found useful..lee makes a 2 part tool that you put in your power drill that will hold a shell and spin it, and the 2nd part is a mandrel i guess, that will trim the casings to the correct dimensions, its called the Lee Lock Stud and Cutter for $10, you buy a cutter for each caliber. another thing is a reloading block to hold your cases throughout the entire process, i bought one at first, i then made one out of some oak stock that i had... after ruining 20-30 casings, i bought a bullet puller, i got the cheap rcbs one that works on impact, i believe it was $14.

its a learning process, read the manuals that come with your dies on how to set them up when they are in the press. go light on the shell lube, and LABEL EVERYTHING! get a good notebook and take notes on everything you do.

6. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

I forgot about the manuals! Like Wes said, they ain't cheap. If you have access to a computer and printer, i would suggest printing load data off of your powder manufactures website. The books range for $20-$35, I really like Lee's "Modern Reloading, 2nd Edition"

7. dirtdart

dirtdart Well-Known Member

Take some time and visit some shops and keep an eye on ebay. I've purchased complete RCBS Master Reloading Kits still in the box for $130. Keep notes on what the stuff cost new and go look for that used stuff.

If you get a kit you will need shellholders, dies, a good dial caliper, a tumbler to clean the brass, primers, powder, and media for the tumbler.

All of my stuff is bench mounted. Even the primer press which is a RCBS bench mounted auto-prime.

If you shop around you can find good RCBS dies for $15-$20 I've even bought them for under $10. If your lucky you can get all you need in piece-meal and get it cheaper. Just the basics and what a fair used price is.

RCBS Rock Chucker Press.........$60
    RCBS 5-0-2 Scale...................$25
    RCBS Uni-Flo Powder Measure...$35
    RCBS Auto-Prime bench primer..$60
    RCBS Used FL Die Set..............$20
    Midway 1292 Tumbler..............$35
    RCBS Trim-Mate Trimmer..........$55
    Frankford Arsenal Dial Caliper....$10
    RCBS Shell Holder....................$3
    RCBS Powder Trickler...............$8
    Speer Reloading Manual #12.....$9

These are all prices I took off Internet Auction Sites of what the items sold for. The Reloading Manual was a Used Price on Amazon but they sell for less on Ebay often. Shop! I just saw a complete master reloading kit on Ebay with less than $180 bid on it. There are deals out there. I guess that's why my reloading bench looks the way it does.

8. Lab

Lab Well-Known Member

Check your local library. My local library has several of the major relaoding manuals on the shelf. Also look at the "Complete Guide To Handloading" by Philip B. Sharpe. This is a older book published in 1953 but is packed with great info. that is useful even today. Relaoding is a great hobby good luck