do ducks fly good in the rain?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Deadwood, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Deadwood

Deadwood Well-Known Member

probaly a dumb question but, me and my buddy are going duck huntin sat mornin and were bother young and know no better, but do ducks fly good in the rain? theres small chance it will rain and we dont wanna waste time.

2. jdrake19

jdrake19 Well-Known Member

I love hunting fields in the rain. Ducks seem to work better/faster for me. I say try it out and let us know.

3. Deadwood

thank you sir we will be out there.

4. bmccullough1

bmccullough1 Well-Known Member

Hey Deadwood, just curious about how old you & your buddy are. Mind telling us? I am pretty impressed that you & your buddy are going out and learning on your own.

5. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Some of the best hunts I have been on have been in the rain. Good luck!

6. Deadwood

im 14 and my buddy is 16

7. hunt4meat

hunt4meat Member<br>You Can't Change This Side

Dude, ducks HATE rain!!! They go to the hotel when it rains. Stay home and don't waste your time.

8. mor37459

mor37459 Well-Known Member

Deadwood,

In the rain go to a pit or open area. Put out a jerk string and maybe a couple spinners. Ducks don't care about the rain, the visibility is what effects them. You can kill them in the timber if you are on the X, but the general rule is Sun-Timber and rain-field. Hope that helps.

9. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

In a heavy downpour the birds won't fly. A steady light to medium rain is great. An off and on rain is fine. If its raining like cats and dogs with the wind blowing real hard I haven't had any luck. I hunt fields most of the time. Cloudy rainy foggy days have always been the best for me.

10. tyhunter23

tyhunter23 Well-Known Member

Man they will fly if its a slow rain. Have not had much luck in a down poor. But like stated above stick to the fields are open water.

11. BDW

BDW Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey

Deadwood, I'll be in a dead timber/cypress brake in the morning. I actually hope it's raining. It seems like the nastier the weather, the better that spot is. Good luck to you guys, and be safe. Give us a report.

12. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

NE Ark
    I duck hunted almost every day back in the 70's and early 80's and have had some of my best days hunting in the rain. We always seemed to do better in the fields in the rain and in the woods on sunny days.

13. auto-5

auto-5 Well-Known Member

Yea sir...

14. mallard8

mallard8 Well-Known Member

Ive shot them in the rain. I can remeber when I was a young duck hunter I asked the same question. An ole duck hunter told me to go as long as its not pouring down and thundering and lightnining. If you saw them in a hole the day before they should be back. They were and they didnt disapoint us either, they seemed to even work better. Just make sure you can hide... They can pick you out better on cloudy rainy days!!! Good Luck, just remember.. You cant shoot em if you dont go.

15. koolaide187

koolaide187 Active Member

White
    Ducks don't fly much on Overcast days normally. When they are flying and it starts to rain they do tend to land faster though.

16. Deadwood

thank yall, looks like the rain hit tomight so we might be ok but thanks for your guys input. its greatly appricated.

17. Badbassn

Badbassn Premium Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Win

What about slough huntin in the rain?

18. jdrake19

jdrake19 Well-Known Member

I've done great in the rain in sloughs.

19. yellowlab

yellowlab Well-Known Member

Not gonna killem in the bed

20. wood duck whacker

wood duck whacker Well-Known Member

Man over the years if I have learned one thing is ducks don't follow the rules. I have a timber hole next to a field that over the years I have discovered that ducks will only go to when its raining. If that hole had water I would be there tomorrow! The more time you spend in the woods the more of these little things you will figure out. If ya not on the spot am get out and find a spot where they are while its raining. Write it down. Keep a ledger so ya don't forget. Don't skybust if they ain't close enough to kill just watch them. It will be worth more over the years than the occasional bird you drop from a long shot.