Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tuesday I was looking up a phone number in the directory and written on the front page were the names of two game wardens with phone numbers and the poachers hot line. Kind of alerted me to a situation that I had taken rather lightly but also seriously. Now I consider it more seriously.
This past week I met one of my neighbors and he indicated that there was a lot of road hunting in the area and that he had placed the signs on my property for the previous owner. (Purple posted signs) Then I started thinking about the signs all over the roads around here. "Houses In Area".
I am beginning to think that this place might be a war zone come the first week or two of deer season.
I do not want to offend my neighbors or the hunting community that enjoy the area the same as I do. Yet I am very strongly against road hunting.
Due to the unregulated ATV usage of the area , do you think the two are related? What is my best approach to calm the situation? I've got some ideas and input would be welcome.
Deer clubs are behind me and in front of me. Private on one side and Winona on the other. For all practical purposes I am remote. (My nearest grocery store is 19 miles.)

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
While I can't speak for your area, I don't think ATV riders on public (or even private roads) account for much of the illegal road hunting.
While ATV's will cover much more terrain, guns and the identities of people are not as easily concealed as compared to being inside a vehicle. Those two reasons alone are probably the biggest reason that most illegal road hunting in this area is done from automobiles.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Yep, I agree. You can't hide the gun as easy and then if you kill a deer that sure would be hard to hide. I would listen for small caliber fire, late shots or shots that just sound out of place. I don't know how much you would what to do youself, but you could always use some cameras, either still photo or video, to help withthe situation. Walmart use to have a set of two small security cameras plus moniter for some where around $80. Way to take concern for you property through.:thumb:

·
Registered
21,162 Posts
I am thinking ATV's on public roads is illegal, unless your a farmer going to your land. Joy riding I believe is illegal. Might start with getting some patrols in the area, but if its like everywhere else in the state, its not going to be top priority for local law.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Camera

Yep, I agree. You can't hide the gun as easy and then if you kill a deer that sure would be hard to hide. I would listen for small caliber fire, late shots or shots that just sound out of place. I don't know how much you would what to do youself, but you could always use some cameras, either still photo or video, to help withthe situation. Walmart use to have a set of two small security cameras plus moniter for some where around $80. Way to take concern for you property through.:thumb:
Has to be camera. Wireless or hunting type. 10 should be about right. Pasture shots have been noted and that shot requires shooting toward the house from 90% of the angles available.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I am thinking ATV's on public roads is illegal, unless your a farmer going to your land. Joy riding I believe is illegal. Might start with getting some patrols in the area, but if its like everywhere else in the state, its not going to be top priority for local law.
I believe you are right but I dont think this is enforced very strong.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
Around here they don't care if you ride ATV's on county roads or not.
Personally, that's the way I like it.
That's not to say they won't shut you down if you are cutting up or something of that nature. As long as you are being responsible the local law doesn't pay you much attention.
Inside the city limits is a different story for the most part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.