Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,636 Posts
No sir.
I did, however, shoot one the other day that I feel 99% sure I killed. It swam across a slough after I shot it. He was a big one, around 250-300 lbs. He had trouble swimming the slough but finally made it across. Once he got across he laid on the bank for a few seconds, only 60 yds from me. Then, he got back to his feet and I saw it fall one more time, then get up and stumble out of sight. I didnt have a boat to get across slough but I'm pretty sure I couldve went home and get my waders and find a way across. I didn't pursue it tho, I was about a mile from the truck and a 30 minute drive from the house. Even if I had laid my hands on him, I'm not sure I could've dragged him out alone. I did make an attempt to retrieve my arrow that was about halfway across the slough but no luck. There went 100 lbs of pork and $24 dollars worth of arrow and broadhead that I'll never get back, lol.

SWA

·
Registered
40 Posts
Definitely. Our area is overrun with em. Kill em, cut a few slits in the hide, and leave em for the bears. We keep enough of the smaller ones to fill our freezers but we'd rather have bears than hogs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I try not to but on public ground sometimes I gotta get a couple straps or hams or whatever I can get in my jacket. Sometimes it is so far to walk and I couldn't find my way back anyway. And I have killed two that were eat up with lice

·
Select Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>The Naked Retrei
12,171 Posts
Outta several hundred......ONLY one lil sow, and she was bad mangy lookin scrawny.....may have been shot earlier in the year, other than her, shoot em, mark em on the GPS, & come back & get em when were done hunting!!!!.....I AINT leavin no pretty white pork meat in the woods!!!:up:.....EVER!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I shot 3 this year off my box stand this year. It was the second or third day of muzzleloading if I remember right. All within an hour. One of the craziest hunts I've ever been on. I found blood from all 3 but, they ran into a 7 or 8 year old pine thicket. I did not pursue them very hard. Buzzards hung around that stand for two weeks. It wasn't ever the same after that.

Over in your neck of the woods Tal. It's on the Jefferson/Grant county line.
I spent about $200 dollars planting around that stand. 3 weeks later it looked like someone threw grenades in my plots. I lost ZERO sleep for letting them lay.

·
Premium Member
26,132 Posts
If I can get them out pretty easy - and it is not 100 degrees - I get them out. If they are smaller - I eat them. Bigger boars, I give away - if I can find someone to take them. 100 degree heat somebody better be getting them pretty quick. Hot summer time, a lot of times - even after they were only shot 30 minutes ago - you hear the flies buzzing around them before you find them. These often stay in the woods. Bigfoot gotta eat too.:up:

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I let every single one we kill on our place rot. We trapped 9 over Christmas. All got a dose of .22 and over the bluff they went.

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
I've killed 2 at night in the summer that weighed 200 and 232 lbs each. I drug them out of my stand area and let them lay. I didn't want to fight the heat and spoilage and big boar tasting meat all by myself.

·
Member<br>2010-11 Bow Hunting Contest Winner
691 Posts
I didn't get the name "BIG" country by leaving good meat in the woods!! :eating: Have never and will never. I'll eat everyone of them, big or small!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I hunt the lost creek and saline river bottoms in grant county. There are a few pig carcasses scattered around.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
There a nuisance back home, so we typically let 'em lay. Keep a smaller one ever now and then. They are destroying pastures and hay fields and cutting horses pretty often.

·
Select Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>The Naked Retrei
12,171 Posts
There a nuisance back home, so we typically let 'em lay. Keep a smaller one ever now and then. They are destroying pastures and hay fields and cutting horses pretty often.
I'd like to make a trip with ya back home.....just me, GPS, & rifle!!!:up:

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wildman: Besides the hogs, why did it seem like "the craziest hunt"? Would it have been near Grapevine?

Mikebri: Anywhere close to Seven Devils?

Revnate: Do you hunt hogs in those bottoms?

Mr.BS: Would "back home" be close to Cypress Bayou?

Thank you all for responding; when I have time I'll tell you why I asked. (Some folks are doing some interesting things & and learning something with the hogs they leave behind.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts