Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone read the part in Hendricks article about clubs participating in DMAP can use modern firearms "during all portions of deer season"? I cannot find any other reference to this. I know DMAP clubs can apply for a limited number of permits to shoot does early in the season, but based on his article it looks like they done turned into a free for all :down: Anyone else know what the commission voted on exactly?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Our club prez called me today and asked if I read it.
We couldn't find anything else that said this, just can't see them allowing this. We get extra doe tags,but we can only hunt with whats in season with them.
Local wardens goin' to busy the first week of bow season now.There probably orderin' new cases of ticket books now!!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
That's insane. Our club gets a large number of DMAP doe tags but I would never want rifles popping off on Oct. 1. Seems like it would be dangerous with the squirrel hunters in the woods.

I bet this was a misunderstanding or a typo....surely:smack:

hd

·
Registered
885 Posts
I haven't seen the article so I don't know what it says or what it pertains to but I do know a little about DMAP as our club has been in the program for 5yrs now. Some clubs can shoot doe, to fill their quota/tags, with a modern gun during any open season. ONLY doe kills apply to this. Not all DMAP clubs are allowed to do this, not sure what parameters are needed to qualify for this 'exception'.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Actually there were clubs using modern guns during Oct. last year. They are allowed to kill does and cull bucks. Most DMAP programs are not allowed to do this, but some are.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Keep in mind that this is the same guy that wrote an article about a year ago that had everyone thinking they'd brought back the robo. It was some of the most confusing wording I've seen.... he had to clarify himself in an article the next week. Unless you like reading about duck hunting on Dardanelle, hiking the Appalachian trail, or articles about small mouth fishing in the middle of the rut then you're better off to steer clear of the outdoor section. But I'm like a moth to a flame... every Thursday & Sunday I'm drawn to the outdoor section and almost every time I'm disappointed. Old habits are hard to break I guess.

Back to the topic... I'm not saying he's wrong, but I'd be real surprised if he's right.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
The article is correct, I know of some clubs in south AR that are not in the program, but some of their neighbors are and come Oct. 1 they can shoot does and cull bucks from Oct. 1-Feb. 28. I have been saying that isn't right all along. And we have had the discussion on here before.

I don't have a problem with them having extra doe tags and killing them during bow, muzzleloader, or gun season, but they should have to use what everyone else has to use.

I had a buddy go down south on Oct. first a couple years ago and didn't know anything about it, and he said when daylight hit, he about jumped out of his tand when the neighbors opened up with the rifles shooting deer just across the property line. :down:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Quote from a post by Cory Gray on 11-09-2005...
------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the requirements for unresticted weapons doe tags and management buck tags.

Ø Participant must be enrolled in the AGFC Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP)

Ø Participant must be operating an AGFC approved written management plan with specific objectives outlined for harvesting both does and bucks (upper end and management bucks).

Ø Participant must have enrolled a minimum of 1,000 acres of land either through individual ownership or enrollment of multiple, contiguous tracts as “associations”. Exception for cases of documented depredation problems or with population levels that will result in herd health problems or acute habitat degradation, Regional Private Lands Biologist discretion.

Ø Participant must be willing to provide harvest bio-data for the last three (3) consecutive years prior to enrollment.

Ø Participant must be willing to collect all required data [i.e. bio-data, herd health, herd census, gross B&C scores, habitat evaluations, etc.] as required by the approved management plan.

Ø All deer harvested utilizing either the “Unrestricted Weapons Doe Permit” or the “Management Buck Permit” must be properly recorded as required by the Quality Deer Management Permit Procedure Guidelines.

So believe IT.........

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
CP, how do you feel about the program?

I think most all of us understand the reasoning behind it to get the does and cull bucks out of the herd before the rut and as we all know the sooner you get them out the more food is left to grow those trophy bucks with.

Regardless of the reasoning, I still don't think it's right to shoot them with a rifle in Oct. And if they are out there in Oct. with a rifle and that big buck does walk out..................yeap you guessed it, there went a "CULL" tag.:rolleyes::down:

·
11,530 Posts
Where given everything is taken for granted from time to time. The majority of camps do the right thing. I agree with this program personally! The camps in this program are very strict on whats harvested and anyone who does not obey the rules is kicked out. They are up front about this. Yes they may kill certain cull bucks, but typically there arn't many to be killed. Most of the harvest is of does. The programs I am familiar with only allow each member to harvest one A-buck and thats after they have first killed a doe.

I good example of this is a friend of mine passed on 140 class deer on the 2nd week of season because he had not killed a doe. This was because it was his first chance to hunt. In the end he never killed an A-buck.

These camps work hard and sacrafice a lot to get mature deer that will benfit them in the future. From the results I have seen it pays off.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Pat I seen the date on that post was FEBRUARY 15, 2008 and a doe was killed with a .300. I thought the idea behind the 5 month gun season was to remove the does as early has possible for the most benefit, someone must have not gotten the memo.

Manybeards it probably is a good program unless you happen to be sitting in your BOW stand on OCTOBER 1, and less than a few hundred yards from you a rifle cuts down on a deer and you didn't have a clue they were killing deer on Oct. 1 with a gun. :smack::eek::banghead:

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Pat I seen the date on that post was FEBRUARY 15, 2008 and a doe was killed with a .300. I thought the idea behind the 5 month gun season was to remove the does as early has possible for the most benefit, someone must have not gotten the memo.
And then to come on a hunting forum and announce it to everybody.

Just doesn't seem right to be whacking does with a .300 in February.

·
11,530 Posts
Dodgeman I agree, but that's why you should always know what your neighbors are doing. I can personally tell ya all the regulations in the camps that surround what I call my home camp. For that matter I know for the most part what the camps on the other side of them are doing.

·
11,530 Posts
The only camps that reap the benifit of DMAP or any management programs are camps that are several thousand acres or our surrounded by other camps who have similar goals.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I disagree to some extent Manybeards. True, the large clubs and clubs near other clubs with similar rules benefit the most, but there are studies that show some benefit on even very small acreages. Just not as large a benefit as the big tracts.

We have seen very good success with our DMAP participation and I'm glad we continue to do it. I hope none of our members read this forum and figure out they could use a rifle in Oct. :eek:.

hd

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
We have been in DMAP since the start. (we actually were in it before they named it DMAP) We have 1200 acres to hunt. We CANNOT shoot does all season with a rifle. We get 10-15 doe tags per year that must be filled with the legal weapon in season at the time. They do have a "unrestricted doe tag" but not every club can get them. The management bucks are VERY hard to get. (we have NEVER GOTTEN either tag) So please don't assume that all clubs or property participating in DMAP gets unrestricted does kills and management buck tags. Cause it a very small minority that gets them. Our efforts have affected all the surrounding property owers quality of kills. We have seen our efforts have a positive result for the entire area. We have cut back the spotlighting and road hunting down to almost non-existant.

Bad mouth DMAP all you want but it has helped us help the deer in our area.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.