DIY Boat Paint Job

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by FroMan, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Just wanted to see some of yall's self-painted boats and see what kind of stencils you used (if any) and what type of paint and how much it all ran you $$$ wise.

My boat is flat green and doesn't look bad, but it'd look alot cooler if I had some kind of grassy, marshy, or other paint on it.

2. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

Styx River. Looking at $80-$100 for the kit. It comes with the stencils and some rattle can paint. I always ended up buying more of the krylon camo paint from Wal-Mart. If you wanted to go cheap, they make a $30 stencil kit that also looks good.
    Links:
    1)Styx River From Macks
    Budget Friendly Stencils

A few tips...clean the boat with some a good cleaner. Flip boat over to the outsides makes laying stencils easier. You can always use a primer to make it last longer, if you plan to redo the base coat, go with Parkers Duck Boat paint.

Good luck.

3. factory909

forgot the examples! First Picture is with the cheap kit. Second picture is with the styx river.
    [​IMG]
    Weldbilt 1648 Album

4. Ozark hunter

Ozark hunter Well-Known Member

5. factory909

thats awesome ozark hunter

6. browning_gold_12

browning_gold_12 Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07

i made my own from the mylar cutting board shhets at wally world. way cheaper, and you can customize them to suit you.

start to finish....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Ozark hunter

thank you sir... i have about half of both sides done. when warmer weather rolls around i plan on finishing it with bed liner on the inside. still haven't decided if i want to deck the floors or not, it's a 1636 monark. i have a mercury i'll be painting to match and i may even paint the old dodge too, i think it would look slick to have a matching camo outfit.

8. browning_gold_12

browning_gold_12 Moderator<br>Deer Hunting<br>Trail Cameras<br>'07

also did this on the back of my chiefs boat. he had the transom raised for a 90/65 jet, aqnd i matched the paint to the new part. it was a factory grizzly job.

[​IMG]

9. Ozark hunter

looks great!

10. natestep

natestep Well-Known Member

I do pretty much what Ozark Hunter does. I use alot of cedar when I do one. I start with sage grass on the first pass around then go back with the cedar on top. It looks really good and blends in anywhere. I use olive drab for the base then use the Wally World Krylon camo beige, and brown and just by Krylon flat black cause its like $1 a can cheaper than the camo.

11. wood duck whacker

wood duck whacker Well-Known Member

That's sexy!