Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was in an accident and is now confinded to a wheelchair. He has been a life long hunter and is dedicated to continue hunting.

My deer camp is committed to getting him something, but we don't really know where to start.

Does anyone know of any groups in AR which can help out with obtaining/making a deer stand that is wheelchair accessible?

I appreciate any insight you might have.

·
Registered
11,766 Posts
A friend of mine was in an accident and is now confinded to a wheelchair. He has been a life long hunter and is dedicated to continue hunting.

My deer camp is committed to getting him something, but we don't really know where to start.

Does anyone know of any groups in AR which can help out with obtaining/making a deer stand that is wheelchair accessible?

I appreciate any insight you might have.
Where do you hunt?

I bet it wouldnt be that hard..............you could do something like this and add a ramp........

thats my daughter looking out...........her brothers stand!!

Another thats a little bigger but still on the ground.......

One like this you would have to make a longer ramp and you could hinge the whole side for a wheelchair

·
Super Member<br>'08 Smackdown Team Winner
2,657 Posts
Consider buying and using a good portable blind.

It doesn't have to be a Double-Bull there are others
that would serve the purpose just as well.

Make sure it is a metal hub-style.

That way he won't be restricted as to where he hunts so much.
Pretty much anywhere he can go in his chair he will be able to hunt.

Also, with a little practice he will be able to set it up himself.

Good Luck

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
How disabled is he? There is a student at the school my dad works at that is totally disabled and shot 3 deer this year. He uses a mechanical aiming device that he aims by blowing and sucking as straw. If he needs anything like that I could get you back in touch with him. If not he could probably still get you in touch with some folks that could help you out. Dad's the one that traded you the ML for the 243 a couple months ago.

If he can rid an atv this might be the ticket http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=404970&kwtid=267823

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have a patient that is in a wheel chair (electric with big wheels). He had a blind built that the whole backside opens and he drives right in to it. He also has a ground blind made of branches he drives into. He is looking into one of those electric scooter with the big wheels so he can go further out. Hope this helps.
Sportsmanetc

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
It's been a pretty good while but I have seen some stands made for hunters confined to a wheel chair but I imagine they where bad expensive. They where box blind lifts mounted to a trailer. The group was at the disabled sportsman shoot at Camp Robinson one year.

You might try and contact the Arkansas Disabled Sportsman Association, I don't have their info but I think Dodgeman might know how to contact them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am pretty sure that the Conway chapter of Buckmasters or some other deer-hunting group in that area has a lift blind available that can be taken to locations for hunts. Otherwise, just Google some on the Internet. There are some readily available that are not too costly. You can get in touch with Tony LeQuieu (Forgive me Tony if did not get the name spelled right.). He does work with disabled sportsmen and knows what road to take. Also, give the Cooks Lake Potlatch Education Center a holler. They host disabled hunts and can give you some ideas, or there are hunts of this nature that are hosted by the Corps. I know that your buddy might be down and out, but God reminds us to worry about nothing and pray about everything. Some of these organized hunts for people who have met with an unfortunate accident provide hunting in the most primo ground in the area. So, a door closed, but God HAS opened a window. Thanks for being there for a friend. It means a lot to him, I am sure.

·
Banned
10,245 Posts
conwayhntr, the AR Disabled Sportsmen may have some plans for deer stands.

As the guys said a ground blind with a ramp may work well.

I had a friend that was in the same situation, and we made some hand controls for his Ranger and he hunted a lot off of it.

You can build some blinds that he could pull the Ranger up into.

We did have to cut the side bar out of it so he could get in it, and I put some angle on the roll bar and mounted a winch to pull him out of his wheelchair into the driver's seat. I wish I had some pictures of it.

Also you can get on the game and fish website and look, they have disabled hunts in several places across the state.

Let me know if I can help in any way, you can email me at [email protected] or call me my name is Jeff @ 870-974-2090.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Disabled hunts are held at some of the WMAs. One of the WMAs that I hunt has ground blinds that are used by the hunters. They are about 4 feet from the ground and they have wooden ramps that lead up to the blind. These are located on a food plot.

·
Banned
10,245 Posts
Hudge, things like that is what the Arkansas Deer Hunters Alliance would like to do as well, hunts for disabled and for kids, it will be a major undertaking, but with enough members and help I can see us doing it. :up:

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Hudge, things like that is what the Arkansas Deer Hunters Alliance would like to do as well, hunts for disabled and for kids, it will be a major undertaking, but with enough members and help I can see us doing it. :up:
Dodgeman I am about thirty minutes from Pendleton and they have a disabled hunt there. I am willing to take some vacation time to help someone out if need be.

·
Banned
10,245 Posts
Good deal D.O.W.

That's what what it's all about people helping people. :up:

We need to get the list posted on here and dates and get in touch with the game and fish and see where we can help with some of these hunts.

I have tried and tried to the the guys with the AR Disabled Sportsmen on here so we can help them with hunts they have, but no luck so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.