Dirt hole help.

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Doekila, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Doekila

Doekila Well-Known Member

I know this may sound like a simple fix question, but I was wondering if some of you guys with some experience could help me. On more than one occasion I have had tracks in my dirt hole set, if I set my trap to the right or left of the hole seems the critters walk in on the other side. I don't have enough traps to double set them. Does anybody have any tricks they might wanna share with a fellow trapper? I'd appreciate any advice.

2. REM870

REM870 Account Suspended

Put some brush on the other side. A log has also worked before

3. d.bobo

d.bobo Well-Known Member

hope
    Use your dirt to make him step on the pan by making it taller around the edges with a lower flat even spot right over the peddle .

4. geslayton

geslayton Well-Known Member

You can gently guide a coyotes foot onto your trap. I dig my holes deep enough that they can't get the bait out without working from the front and at an angle that they can't see without walking up to the set. I also usually put a small stick or a couple rocks on at least one side to help keep them from trying to work from the side.

5. fisherman

fisherman Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne

I set my traps center of the hole, not what most experts say but works well for me.
    The tracks I see where critters walk in the soft ground are one in frount of the other not side by side.

6. OuachitaMtnMan

OuachitaMtnMan Well-Known Member

Arkansas
    This is what I do. I take a couple of small to medium sticks and make a V shape with the inside edges of the V dang near touching the outer edges of where my trap is, funneling the critter where I want him to go.

7. NaturalStateNative

NaturalStateNative Well-Known Member

I'm not a pro by any means, but I was having the same issue as I was learning how to fine tune my sets. I started using dirt clods on the side I wanted him to stay off of, even right next to the pan and on top of the jaws. The dirt clods will desintegrate when the trap goes off so no worries with it keeping your trap from closing completely. It has worked well for me

8. hogfan1

hogfan1 Well-Known Member

A good deep angled dirt hole plus a small mouse hole with a different smell might make them shuffle their feet a little. On James Lords bobcat video he likes to make up to three holes. One in the middle plus two smaller ones on either side. All the holes have a different smell. The idea is to get them to move their feet investigating the other smells. I'm not a pro. Ive only caught a few coyotes. Just an idea.

9. gregh

gregh Well-Known Member

Doekila: where are you located in south central Arkansas

10. Doekila

Doekila Well-Known Member

Around Gurdon

11. gregh

gregh Well-Known Member

I will be up around Presscott tomorrow morning. Might could help you out if you are interested.

12. varmit_master

varmit_master Well-Known Member

I like to use a rock as a back stop dig the hole in the middle of the rock at an angle like a deep hole. Like to bed the trap 5 to 7 inchs back and to one side and cross stake it. Bed my trap down where it wont move. I use peat moss cover trap and put a light cover of dirt over trap. Take some bait and put in back of hole. Put leaves in hole so he can't see bait for catching a predator eyes use cotton balls and put in hole. Turn rock over put 2 different lures one each on each side of hole put a shot of red fox or cat p on rock make sure trap is lower than ground use small sticks as stepping guides. Put the extra dirt to one side behind trap in a pile looks like some thing dug the hole.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012