Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out guys. What is the diffrence between the two. Do they both live in arkasas?:confused:

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
The cottontail definitely - but the jackrabbit is a maybe! At one time they were somewhat plentiful but apparently their habitat was destroyed or whatever and they may have been killed out - who knows for sure!

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Jack rabbits are much larger than cotton tails and have extremely large hind quarters and ears. I have heard that jack rabbits are occaisionaly found in west and northwest Arkansas. Cottontails and swamp rabbits are found throughout the state.

·
Member<br>'07/'08 Bowhunting Contest Team Winner
660 Posts
Just like Flydown said. Jacks are much bigger sometimes all you see is legs and ears.

·
Registered
99 Posts
check out the AGFC web site. Can't post the url since I'm too new. Go to the main site, hit wildlife, then hit mammals, then look at the bottom and they have a page on jackrabbits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. My issue was that I see a lot of jackrabbit distress calls at the stores. I knew that I have never seen a jackrabbit in perry co. I guess this might be important while predator hunting.?!:head:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think it is probably because predator hunting has been more popular out west, so they made calls based on what western predators eat. I've never done a head-to-head comparison, but I would be surprised if a jackrabbit distress call was all that much different from a cottontail or swamp rabbit.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I think it is probably because predator hunting has been more popular out west, so they made calls based on what western predators eat. I've never done a head-to-head comparison, but I would be surprised if a jackrabbit distress call was all that much different from a cottontail or swamp rabbit.

A jack rabbit distress is deeper and raspier than a cottontail distress. They both work for predators in Arkansas. I don't think the predators reason that there is a difference. Any time any thing sounds that it is in distress, predators are interested.

·
Registered
166 Posts
A jack rabbit is a hare and a cotton tail is a rabbit...the difference for those interested is a hare has babies born with hair on them a rabbit is born bald.
Just a tidbit for information
:biggrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts