Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have read on a few threads I beleive a few people would be surpised to find this piece of info.

In the AGFC poll, someone stated that the AGFC needed to start spending their money on aquiring more land for public use (hunting), and I agree more is always better, but it is not like they haven't been during a good job of this already. According to the research that I have done and talking to a few people, Arkansas has the second most public land available to hunters in the United States, second only to Louisianna. And that we have a single piece of public land that is larger than the state of Rhode Island. This is some of the info I found...

"The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission manages a total of 59 state-owned wildlife management areas and 57 cooperative wildlife management areas – covering more than 2,869,326 acres – throughout the state. WMAs are designated areas purchased by the Commission and distinguished by certain markers and considered a separate zone with regard to wildlife regulations. To learn more about WMAs, visit www.agfc.com."

So give the guys with the hard job a little bit of a break now and then. I am sure they are trying their best with what they have to work with.

·
Premium Member
15,522 Posts
Because everybody is wanting to hunt the same areas....:shrug:
And more and more people are used to riding their 4 wheelers and riding around in their trucks.. I've found if you'll use some boot leather and are willing to walk 1/4 to a 1/2 mile away from the road you'll have the woods to yourself.. Dang!! I probably shouldn't have said that!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
And more and more people are used to riding their 4 wheelers and riding around in their trucks.. I've found if you'll use some boot leather and are willing to walk 1/4 to a 1/2 mile away from the road you'll have the woods to yourself.. Dang!! I probably shouldn't have said that!!
Shhhhhhhh! Keep that secret to yourself. Don't let the masses know the secret.

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
I already knew that and now so does everybody else. :doh:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
I agree that the AGFC has done a great job in the past, but if they are going to give up land to things like gas wells, there needs to be a renewed emphasis on land purchases.
In this day and age, everything depends on working capitol...which is hard to find unless to find yourself in an oil company exec's pocket....having said that, AGFC as a unit gets nothing but the best grade from me: AAA+ And I do know several WOs that are square shooters too. If there can be shown by proven fact that money(s) are being skimmed off the top, or used for other than Ar. Sportsmen/or the pursuit of recreation by the people.........I will be the first to raise my voice against it. But I haven't heard or seen that yet....and with the people's input, the AGFC should stay in the right path! TJMHO:wink:

·
Registered
70 Posts
??? I don't think I implied that anyone was skimming off the top. Just saying that the monies from these gas leases should be earmarked for new land purchases. Over the course of these leases at 20% royalties they should generate a huge increase in capital.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
and then some will tell you how its overcrowded hunting and getting worse while all indication are the hunter rolls are shrinking :head:
Part of the reason for the increased pressure on public land while overall hunter population is decreasing is the increase in popularity of leasing land for hunting purposes. This practice, while I participate in it, actually decreases the amount of land available to folks that don't own land or don't lease land. Hence they stack up on public land.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,584 Posts
??? I don't think I implied that anyone was skimming off the top. Just saying that the monies from these gas leases should be earmarked for new land purchases. Over the course of these leases at 20% royalties they should generate a huge increase in capital.
I didn't mean to imply that you did...in fact I know I didn't, but I remember a little something said by the Governor about spending some of that money on "other" than AGFC goals and priorities...that's all I'm saying:up:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that you did...in fact I know I didn't, but I remember a little something said by the Governor about spending some of that money on "other" than AGFC goals and priorities...that's all I'm saying:up:
The gov. did say that and there was this reply from the US fish and wildlife if some of the moneys from these gas leases were spent on something other than game management or land purchasing they were going to reduce money that AG&FC gets from the federal gov. Thats what I have heard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.