Arkansas Hunting banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I guess it is on the back. It is too heavy for me to pull out by myself. Maybe tomorrow I can get my Son to help Me & pull it out . There is no Panel at the toe kick area So it must be around the Compressor.
some of the ones was in where the light bulb is at and sometimes under that cover. Some is in with the freezer thermostat area u should be able to see it. I WOULD LOOK IN THE BACK AREA LAST. You can usely tell if the cover looks larger than just for the bulbs or thermostat-- most of the timers are in the front --most has a kick plate on front so you can take it off for cleaning kick plates may have just been mostly on refrigrators. I remember on the last up right I worked on it was on the inside of the freezer-- also on here where they posted a picture of a timer the little place where you use your flat head screwdriver is the thing with the hole in it but the blades will just catch on the two sides just beside the hole--u don't have to go into the hole --sometimes a dime will work.-One more thing I seen it in the picture where u took the panel off of the coils is at the upper left there is a clicksun with two wires running to it these wires are molded into it I guess u could also call it a thermostat about the size of a nickle or so but thicker of course.-but not the one for the main freezer. where the red fan wire is running toward the coil that thing is snapped on the coil it snaps onto the coil so it can detect the temp. of the coil. and must always be clicked on to coil if it comes that way and if it is bad it will not let the freezer work right. I think that it is there to keep the coil from overheating when it is in the defrost cycle it also has to be replaced with one just like it should have some temp/on there/or part #.-just saying Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Again I think u will find the defrost timer inside of the freezer. You may not have to pull the freezer out. Let us know where you find it --and what the problem was--------an if we can help if needed---GOOD LUCK.

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Bad News is I think the thermostat is bad. I have cut back on the thermostat & it will not cut off. The compressor continues to Run until it hits the off Position. Temp is running -20 no matter what it is set on. I may have to shut it back off & pull the thermostat & see if I can find one. Could be a chore because there is no data plate on this freezer! & I have looked everywhere!
Again look inside around the flat edge of the door or doors if be there will be one on it somewhere. One thing you must know it would be good if you had a freezer thermature to lay inside the box. It will need to have all the covers back on and make sure all the little fans are running or working and doors stay shut and run the freezer for 24 hrs before you can see the real temp of the freezer. Just saying. SORRY u having so much trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
I got the part ordered. The freezer is kicking butt right now. The thermostat was on like 7 last night & according to my thermometer it was -30 this morning. I cut it back to a 4 & it is running -10. I believe the Defrost timer has been the problem all along. Anyway this will be a cheap fix. Thanks Everyone for your help!
Before you buy the timer u should turn it to just befor kicking off or on and watch it for 30 min. if it kicks on or off the timer is good. I was hopping it wasn't the thermostat the last one I tried to buy from sears was over $200.00 I bought a new freezer.----

Sorry you has some guys answering and I jumped in I hope I hope I wasn't to big of a problem--just trying to help._____________. sparkie

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Well my bad about the timer not being in the back. Just saying the last upright I worked on was mine and the timer was inside the box close to the thermostat.

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Bad News is I think the thermostat is bad. I have cut back on the thermostat & it will not cut off. The compressor continues to Run until it hits the off Position. Temp is running -20 no matter what it is set on. I may have to shut it back off & pull the thermostat & see if I can find one. Could be a chore because there is no data plate on this freezer! & I have looked everywhere!
AR Thumper the plate info could be in under the thermostat cover. Not most of the time but if you have a cover over it u might look. I have seen thoses plates in crazy places.
Please let me know where you got your parts from when u get time. Just saying.

I don't know why but I got 5 freezers running all the time now--I got one we are trying to clean out to defrost---I think we lose more and have to throw food out than we eat out of those things.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Before you buy the timer u should turn it to just befor kicking off or on and watch it for 30 min. if it kicks on or off the timer is good. I was hopping it wasn't the thermostat the last one I tried to buy from sears was over $200.00 I bought a new freezer.----

Sorry you has some guys answering and I jumped in I hope I hope I wasn't to big of a problem--just trying to help._____________. sparkie
I do think the timer was bad. It was plugged up for hours & hours & never would kick the compressor on till I turned it with the screwdriver. The Timer was a cheap fix anyway.The thermostat does have a cover but its inside the cowling.I can't see it being under there . I had to remove a dozen screws to expose the thermostat. The freezer is cooling good ,in fact too good! it will NOT kick off & the compressor runs all the time. It is running about a -20 whether it is on low or high setting. It is sitting on a linoleum floor & the floor underneath is scorched, (Black). I bought the Timer off eBay & they have several thermostats listed at various prices. one I think will work that is listed as a Kenmore replacement is like $50 , But I will have to pull the old one before I know for sure. I am hopeful that like the timer that there is a standard thermostat out there. I'm Not really a HVAC guy I just found the hat! But I know when the temp gets to a certain point somewhere around "0" it should kick off. Mine don't.

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
I do think the timer was bad. It was plugged up for hours & hours & never would kick the compressor on till I turned it with the screwdriver. The Timer was a cheap fix anyway.The thermostat does have a cover but its inside the cowling.I can't see it being under there . I had to remove a dozen screws to expose the thermostat. The freezer is cooling good ,in fact too good! it will NOT kick off & the compressor runs all the time. It is running about a -20 whether it is on low or high setting. It is sitting on a linoleum floor & the floor underneath is scorched, (Black). I bought the Timer off eBay & they have several thermostats listed at various prices. one I think will work that is listed as a Kenmore replacement is like $50 , But I will have to pull the old one before I know for sure. I am hopeful that like the timer that there is a standard thermostat out there. I'm Not really a HVAC guy I just found the hat! But I know when the temp gets to a certain point somewhere around "0" it should kick off. Mine don't.
Ok I agree with you if it will only kick off with u turning the timer then the timer is bad.------But the defrost timer is just to keep the freezer from freezing up. -----The thermostat should when turn up or down click the freezer off some where before it gets to the off spot on the thermostat with the freezer that cold.-------- So saying that I think the thermostat is bad. I don't know how much a HVACR Tech R= refrigeration Tech. HVAC = Heat and Air Tech --Being that I was a HVACR TECH "Retired" we did both. But I don't know all there is to know about anything. You could call Kenmore and ask them where there tag is at. There big word for there tag might be.----Nomenclature Tag.---

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
------please -------get the thermostat made for that unit. Some stats can be wired wrong on the inside and burn out other things ----even if they look alike.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts