Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys that hunts with us killed a doe with a tree branch just under the skin on her chest.It was nicely healed over.
also another doe that had a crooked bottom jaw,looked broke and healed up crooked.

I killed a buck that had an enlarged knee one time. it was about 3x the size of the other one.looked shot or broke at one time.he was walking on it though,not limping.

I was curious if ya'll had seen any of the same, Deer are very tough animals!

·
Banned
20,810 Posts
There is a freak deer @ my parents place...we call the GIMP. One of his front legs is broke and turned around backwards at the knee. He was 12 points last year not real big, double main beam and a drop tine on one side, I hope the boys down that a way get a chance at killin' him...

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
There was an old doe that hung around my place for years. She had obviously broken her right front leg at one time or the other. One of the neighbors said she got hit by a car. Her right front leg was bent backwards at the knee. I called her gimp as well. She did just fine and produced 2 fawns every year. One year I just quit seeing her. I suspect she died of old age. She was a smart old gal. I used to see her around the house all the time. That is until one day she busted me while I was hunting. I never saw her in the daylight again. Here's a picture of her that I captured on my game camera after not seeing her for nearly a year. She was around all the time. That was about 4 years ago now. I'm sure she is dead by now.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I had a doe spend several years in my garden :mad: that had a front leg that had been broken. She raised fawns every year. About 15 years ago I killed a 3 legged buck. His left back leg looked like it had been cut off above the knee with a knife. Very smooth cut that was completely healed over-no open sores at all. He was fat and had a nice 8 point rack. His left side antler was equal to the right but it was deformed. I think it had been cut off as a fawn with a mowing machine. JMO

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've seen deer with scars healed over before but nothing like my cousin who killed a buck deer with an arrow still in its side. He said the meat was green and seemed ruined so I don't think he ate the deer but I know he kept the horns. I have also seen a doe shot that looked like her hoof was about to fall off. About two or three inches above the hoof it looked like it had been cut or shot. It was scabbed up pretty good when she was killed so I am sure it was a recent thing.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Kilt a 8-point a couple years ago that, right befire I shot it, I noticed he was limpin a bit. Sucker had a 3-inch piece of PVC pipe stuck around a rear leg. He musta piked it up when he was a fawn cause the leg had grown into it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Had a friend kill a 22 pt out in Holland Bottoms over ten years ago. The buck walked with a limp and when he clened the deer he found a broadhead stuck in his front leg.

also at my camp a few years ago a guy had shot a buck in ML season but never found it, same stand in MG season when he showed back up. This time he finished the job, the deer had been shot high and the wound was infected and pussed up . pretty gross

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
I have seen several with healed over broken legs. One with a missing front leg above the knee. Had a fawn three years ago or so that was missing a leg above the knee and it had both legs the day before. Momma took care of it and made sure it ate before any other deer got close to the feeder. It stayed around for three weeks and then disappeared. Dad killed one years ago that had been shot in the brisket. Saw a guy with one that had been shot in the nose.

All these post should make us all spend as much time as we can becoming proficeint with whatever we use. Never liked losing one, even if I didn't shoot it. I have lost a few in my life and hate it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I've killed deer with buckshot, 22 cal bullets ,and Squirrel shot in them. Took a buck with a ML that had been shot with an arrow which had passed through just above the spine. Also shot a doe with a ML that had a healed broken leg.

·
Grand Member<br>2007 Bowhunting Contest Team Winne
3,277 Posts
Same here I have cleaned them found brosdheads,leadshots lots of deep cuts on there belly and legs I guess from jumping fences.Also killed a doe a few years ago that only had half a hoof.Inside one was completely gone.She was about 10 pounds lighter than all the other 2 1/2 year old does we killed that year. We were under Dmap

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,488 Posts
Three legged doe on my place, lived quite a few years, had many sets of twins....last year she didn't show.....but that don't mean she died....she just didn't appear to me!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I saw a pretty good buck with an arrow sticking straight up from between it's shoulders. Found out later a guy down the road shot it the day before. He was aiming for the spine and missed, and the arrow got lodged in the top one of the front shoulders. It didn't seem to bother the deer much.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have seen several with healed over broken legs. One with a missing front leg above the knee. Had a fawn three years ago or so that was missing a leg above the knee and it had both legs the day before. Momma took care of it and made sure it ate before any other deer got close to the feeder. It stayed around for three weeks and then disappeared. Dad killed one years ago that had been shot in the brisket. Saw a guy with one that had been shot in the nose.

All these post should make us all spend as much time as we can becoming proficeint with whatever we use. Never liked losing one, even if I didn't shoot it. I have lost a few in my life and hate it.
I lost two bucks last season, and it truly is about as low a feeling as I've had. I love to hunt, but will likely give it up if I do that again. Actually made tough 200 yard shots on both bucks, and neither buck went far at all, I've recovered deer in the past that were a 100 times more difficult to find than either of these shoulda been. Still can't figure out how I pulled such a boneheaded stunt. One I walked right by, and just somehow didn't see him (sagegrass field), and the other one I got on the wrong trail I guess. Found both of them a few days later when started to get ripe. It's tough when you're disappointed in yourself.

Then to pour salt on the wounds, late in the season I had a shot at a real bruiser, had him in the crosshairs, and the safety was in the middle spot, and he got away. I'd done everything right, really went the extra mile to earn just such a fine buck. :censored: Tough season to say the least.

Surely this year will be better.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

I think you nailed that one about proficiency. I always feel that I owe it to the deer to try to get a clean kill and have passed up several shots due to that. We are still only human and mistakes happen but I think range time can improve our skills greatly.:flag:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I think you nailed that one about proficiency. I always feel that I owe it to the deer to try to get a clean kill and have passed up several shots due to that. We are still only human and mistakes happen but I think range time can improve our skills greatly.:flag:
That's for sure. I was talking to a guy a few days ago that has a great property to hunt. But he hasn't killed many deer there, partly because he can't make the long shot. He was telling me about this fancy new rifle and scope he's going to get in order to remedy that situation. Now, this is the kind of guy that seldom goes to the range and probably doesn't even go enough to even get a rifle sighted in properly. I told him that almost any gun and scope combination is good enough to make a 200 yard shot and that the important part is that the shooter be proficient with his/her equipment. That means practice.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
I shot an 8 pointer last year that had been shot a few weeks before right between the front legs it was just enough to split the hide and it had already started to heal up. My brother killed one year before last up in Missouri and when he was cleaning it he discovered that it had a tumor of some sort on one of its lungs.

·
Member<br>'08 Deerhunting Contest Team Winner<br>'
606 Posts
my father shot a buck two years ago and it had a scab on its belly. turned out to be a 2 inch piece of antler underneath the scab. we figured he had got it from fighting.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.